Fan stopped working

KimSenger

Hello all,

The interior fan suddenly died on me - and that's a big problem here on Svalbard at 78 deg N - and my 2008 1.2 Skoda Roomster is most likely the northernmost of its kind. 

Anyway, I checked the fuses (all good) and spoke to a mechanic on the phone - I will get a ventilator shipped up here and will try to sort it out (no real service here). 

Does anyone know where to buy pdfs of the Roomster workshop manual? 

Many thanks in advance for any comments. 

Kim

Yes, there is an AC. And actually today the fan started again out of the blue - on the 4km road to the airport (the longest road here on Svalbard). But it seems to work only on full power, so it may be the resistor after all?

• 1 year later...

Am taking up this thread again as there have been some developments and we still struggle with the fan... 

The blower motor works BUT only if the engine has been running for 5-15 minutes - depending on temperature (which is -22 deg now...). I had the car inside one evening and then it worked fine - but now it is outside and again quite problematic. I suspect this is related to condensation stopping the fan from rotating? 

Any tips or suggestions I could try would be much appreciated :-)

All the best from the far north,

Kim

I've never heard of that before, but it does seem to fit all the known facts. So this may seem like a strange query but when was the pollen filter last changed? Also, check the drains for the scuttle plenum are clear of muck (this time of year they could still be blocked by snow/ice I guess).

Thanks for your quick response Ken. Unsure about the pollen filter but it will be a minimum of 2-3 years since the last change (I own the car since mid 2015). Where are the drains for the scuttle plenum (sorry, I'm not very familiar with car parts...). 

I have tried a few tests - leaving the car overnight in ca +15 deg C still did not get the heater blower started when idle but after driving ca 800 m and the temperature gauge rose it started. Then I had the engine heater attached and the car parked in -15 deg C and the heater blower only came on after driving about 5000 m but at a different temperature gauge reading. So it is kind of on and off, but I have 3 small kids and would really prefer to put them in a pre-warmed car where the blower works also on idle. 

BTW, there's a nice webcam of Svalbard at the bottom of www.unis.no - it is still definitely winter up here in the high Arctic :-)

Any thanks in advance for your tips. 

I'd change the pollen filter then because they can retain water.

If you look at the base of the windscreen, there's a plastic trim piece descending to a vertical metal bulkhead in the engine bay. That covers the plenum chamber, and the tops of the drains will be towards the outside corners. The bottoms of same are at the backs of the front wheel arches, behind the arch liners.

Also, I'd realised it was still Winter in Svalbard, hence the advice assuming the possibility of ice/snow buildup in the plenum and/or its drains.