Looking at buying 4 new tyres - 224 40 R18 92Y

Hi All,

Looking at getting 4 new tyres, I like the look of the UniRoyal Rainsport 3 for £51 a corner - anyone recommend any other deals either as a delivered only price or with fitting, balancing included?

Cheers

Just noticed that because of the TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System) technology on the vRS not all tyre fitters can fit tyres to this car. Anyone know anything more about this?

News to me. I would have thought removing wheels and fitting new tyres has nothing to do with the TPMS. Once new tyres are fitted the system just needs to be reset by pressing the reset button. 

I believe the VRS uses the abs wheel sensors for TPMS.

I took my alloy wheels off the car, replaced with steel wheels (forgot to check pressure before fitting) and got the TPMS warning on the dash. So the sensor are definitely not in the wheels.

The vRS has the passive TPMS system so no worries anywhere. It's only the more modern (and 1000x more useful) active TPMS that could potentially be a problem.

With the passive system, by the time the system actually flags up a problem there is a good chance you've already done internal damage to the sidewall of the tyre (through running it under-inflated).

Seen first hand - TPMS flagged up a tyre, inflated, 2 weeks later flagged again, inflated and and drove whilst waiting for tyre company to come out. Removed tyre to see where the issue was, handfuls of rubber just fell out of the tyre where the sidewall had just become compromised - no puncture repair, new tyre time.

Forget TPMS - get used to a 2-4 weekly manual pressure check, will save you in the end :)

Unusual tyre size quoted in the thread title - just 1mm under standard size.  Perhaps you will notice a difference in road-holding when you fit 225 section tyres! :D