Buying used Fabia MK1 estate

Saulevas

Hi guys.

I'm new to this forum so you'll have to excuse me for a long post...

I'm looking to buy a used Fabia estate MK1, preferably 1.9TDI variant. Now, I'm looking at something between 2000€ and 3000€ (I'm in Lithuania). I came across few adverts on the internet and I think I'll go and look at some of these cars this weekend.

http://auto.plius.lt/skelbimai/skoda-fabia-1-9-l-universalas-2001-dyzelinas-4589554.html

http://auto.plius.lt/skelbimai/skoda-fabia-1-9-l-universalas-2007-dyzelinas-4565797.html

http://auto.plius.lt/skelbimai/skoda-fabia-1-9-l-universalas-2006-dyzelinas-4472765.html

All these adverts are in Lithuanian (I'm sorry for that) :notme:

Anyway, I really like the first one because at least in pictures and on paper it looks great. It's a bit old compared to other two but has a decent mileage (those numbers are in KM). What caught my eye is that it doesn't have a Fabia badge on the back hood. Could this indicate that it could have been involved in an accident after which the back hood was repaired, repainted etc.? The question might sound stupid but still..   Also, do you think it's a Comfort or Classic. And the advert also says that it has back parking sensors but I don't see anything like that in pictures...

Could you suggest me anything. Maybe there's something I should pay attention to when going to check these cars in person?

Thanks in advance. 

Anyway, I really like the first one because at least in pictures and on paper it looks great. It's a bit old compared to other two but has a decent mileage (those numbers are in KM). What caught my eye is that it doesn't have a Fabia badge on the back hood. Could this indicate that it could have been involved in an accident after which the back hood was repaired, repainted etc.? The question might sound stupid but still..   Also, do you think it's a Comfort or Classic. And the advert also says that it has back parking sensors but I don't see anything like that in pictures...

The rear parking sensors might be in the black strip - if you look closely at the photos there appear to be some circular objects there.  It looks like one of the higher trim levels as it has a sunroof, rear electric windows, cruise control and alloy wheels (although these could have been fitted later), I think the oval badge on the front wing just above the repeater will say what it is.  Lots of reasons why the Fabia badge might have been removed, not necessarily bad, you would have to look yourself to see if there was any obvious damage but if it has been repaired/repainted and the job was done properly then I wouldn't be too worried - it is quite an old car now.

Hey guys, thanks for your opinion on this.

So I went and got myself the first one. Yup, it is the oldest (2001) one from the bunch, but honestly looks the most looked after from all the Fabias (even newer ones) I've seen lately. The interior looks really good, not too worn out. Some issues with the electric window of passenger's side but that can be fixed. Not sure about the (quite) low mileage for such an old car as these things can be cheated but well..... we'll see. I'm going to see my buddy next week who works at the automotive service to have the oil, filter etc changed and see what he thinks about the engine. It's my first diesel so I'll have to gets used to it, especially being quite noisy. I already got laughed at (in a friendly way) by friend and wife for getting an retired man's car, but I really like this small estate. I was looking for something to drive for the next few years, something practical, economical and cheap. Something to replace the Renault Laguna Estate (2006) I've been driving lately (this thing's really thirsty for petrol...). I hope I made the right choice. 

And yes, it's Elegance  by the way  :notme:

Thanks again!

• Like 1

The 1.9TDI is a good strong engine, even if the car has done more km than the odometer states I would be more worried about wear to the other mechanical bits than the engine (provided the correct oil has been used).  Skodas of that vintage don't seem to rust much either, so hopefully your new Fabia will give you many happy journeys :clap:

Well, I had most mechanical bits looked at at my friends workshop. It seems like everything's in order  :notme:     I noticed that the heating on drivers seat doesn't work (it works on passengers seat) so I'll go and have a look if all is connected correctly under the seat. bmjb99, I too hope it'll give me many happy journeys  :clap:

Thanks guys for your responses!