New Turbo what accessories

Guest DobriKnotzGutenMorgan

Hello there folks. Getting a new turbo delivered after nearly runinning the engine etc. Police siren noise was horrendeous the other morning and thankfully I did not take it onto the motorway but drove back to the house which was only a few miles.

The car has done 110,000 miles with only 6 driven by me sensibly, however the car was previously owned and serviced by the North West Ambulance Service shifting data equipment. But I suspect it did not get looked after and did short runs from around the areas which is not good for the 2.0 TDI BKD 2009 model.

I just wanted to ask if there is any pipes/tubes/clips etc that I can upgrade on while it is being re-fitted or any other things. Looking to get the egr delete too.

Many thanks advance

Its funny. I have exactly the same car. bought in 2012 second hand. its whined every single day i have owned it.

I've now done in excess of 60K in it and still turbo is great car pulls like a train etc etc. if I could clean the VNT a few more times it would be perfect as the vanes stick. I have cleaned it once, but deffo needs a 2nd clean for longer and more actuation of the vanes.

It seams you can be lucky like me and enjoy the noise or unlucky like you and replace it.

I have removed the EGR and cooler too so cleaning the turbo would be much easier and theoretically my turbo should stay cleaner for longer.

EGR delete is dead easy just frustrating to do. took me like 4 hours using a vid from a link in the forum. the biggest deal was removing the inlet pipework as those bloody pipe clips are huge and hard to open / close etc, but the proper tool is like £40.

Search EGR delete and you can see just how easy it is. I got mine from Darkside like many others and cant fault them but I do have a re fitting upgrade that would make life easier. when replacing the first bolt (long one at back) replace it with a cap head screw 20mm long. then bolt the ASV with a bolt and nyloc nut which man makes it easier to fit.

Don't forget new exhaust clamp and intake pipe clip for ASV either and maybe new o ring too.

out of curiosity who did you buy turbo from?

As for upgrades, replacing the intake pipework with hard pipes is good. and silicone hoses - Darkside have one that I cant afford but wish I could.

Obviously new air filter, full oil flush and filter change too at same time. (do a full oil removal fill with cheap stuff add flush and refill with new filter and correct spec oil to clean all the internals before adding new clean fresh turbo with nice new bearings. old oil dirty lube system again is not good with a nice expensive new turbo)

Clean the intake system completely from air box to intake manifold (I removed mine whilst EGR was off and cleaned it all up and the actual inlet  pipes in the block using a scraper and vacuum cleaner if the Mrs will allow (or do when she's out lol). loads of carb cleaner too is needed to clean the ASV and manifold.

Cleaning all the old oil from intercooler is also good. fill with washing up mixture or degreaser and jet wash it internally whilst pipes are off.

New turbo + clean intake system which is crap and oil free will = longer turbo life.

Starting with new clean everything is always good for a new turbo.

If you do remove EGR the EML will be permanently on unless you take it to some one with VCDS to map the EGR out of they system.

Enjoy

Bristolian, Briskodian.....your the best!!!!  Got the turbo from TPS via my Garage with me included in the process. £600. With a spare turbo to off load.........would love to get the pipe kit but have ordered the delete kit for now. Which is all hefty money but I accepted this last year when I bought the car and really liked it, I was willing to spend on it to keep for ever.......

I will be getting it mapped in the next few months as well which I'm looking forward too. Hoping to get that for £200..

In terms of Silicone hoses etc I cannot see a set from Forge which...again is further down the line £££££.

My understanding now is..the bkd model has default in the build related to the turbo which explains my reasons why it has failed. But it will not now with me in hand.

I'm looking to get Eibachs at some point. I will upgrading pads to EBC Greenstuff when they're needed. Thankfully I do motorway miles daily, funnily enough I had the small whinning noise when I got it thinking it was just the normal noise......

I'll print this off and take it to the garage even though I trust them big time but this one not to get wrong. They're a local family set up who have been around for years,been driving stock cars many moons. Happy for me to bring whatever parts I want and fit them...great.

I'll keep you posted 

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but I'd be tempted to go for a new oil feed and return pipe for the turbo, if either is blocked slightly you'll end up with issues on the new turbo in no time. You can just take yours off completely and make sure 100% there are no blockages/restrictions.

The main killer for turbos is oil starvation and some places wont even provide a warranty on a new turbo unless you fit new oil feed pipes, and even the oil pickup in the sump in some cases. Sounds like an easy get out clause for the companies but it really makes sense as why should they warrant a product which can fail due to negligence elsewhere.

If you've bought the turbo brand new from TPS there will most likely be a technical bulletin in the box explaining what they advise you should do/change, any reputable supplier will include that sort of info on a bulletin in the box. :thumbup:

Edited by 88rsr

• 2 weeks later...

Update:    New turbo from TPS, egr delete from Darkside, full servcing parts from TPS, MOT as well. Various pipes etc all cleaned thouroughly , some new pipes as well too plus labour...driven tests, computer checks, mileage set to 10k.

All in all £1300 Oucha!!!! £200 surcharge for old turbo. TPS turbo was £655.

It turns out what has caused the problem is a bloody washer that has came off at somepoint when the North West  Ambulance Service owned the car. When they where taking off some of there gadgets it looks like the washer has got lodged in the pipe and bounced back and forth to the copressor blades and foooked them. Thankfully the not actually going any further.

Once my wallet is better I will be getting the re-map which I will keep you posted on.