Chinese android Good Bad or just pure crap?

Seen this post about an Android and frifall seems happy with it ..

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/376886-frifalls-2012-superb-combi-170-tdi/

The unit concerned is the 1 below

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1024-600-Quad-Core-Android-4-4-Car-DVD-Volkswagen-VW-Tiguan-Polo-Golf-Passat-Jetta/1504264998.html

I am getting a L&K superb 2012 and want a rvc fitting but I am getting mixed messages if it defo can be fitted due to the original tv input

I will be using the car as a taxi so would be interested in running Kodi on the Android for those long boring nights

What is the rough resale value of a Columbas 2nd hand

All views welcome Del

China has stepped up its game in the electronics market a lot recently.. my phone is by Huawei and is excellent, for instance.

Research is the key I think, google the living crap out of it and try to find problems.

I used aliexpress quite a lot but you may get better customer service from places like dx.com and gearbest. If they sell that kinda thing.

• Like 1

I've just installed the columbus copy made by pumpkin. Runs on android and I got to say it's pretty good. My dab reception is shocking once moving but im gonna hook up the main aerial instead which should improve things I've read. Sat nav is great on it and the whole unit is plug and play and feels well built.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm interested in android HUs too. My main reservation is that information is not very forthcoming and there are so many different units, all being rebranded etc that it's difficult to know what's good and what's not!

I'm looking at the "pure" android units without knobs etc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-HD-Android-4-4-4-Car-Stereo-VW-PASSAT-SHARAN-GOLF-CADDY-JETTA-SEAT-GPS-2802TGB/152028998363

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pumpkin-Double-Android-Bluetooth-Support/dp/B01B4DGDB6

Edited by jellybeard999
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've got my eye on this unit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pumpkin-Android-Navigation-Bluetooth-Multimedia/dp/B01D31EA5S?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Benefit of full android KitKat, but with physical buttons (I don't have MFSW).  £270.  Would it be a straight swap from a Bolero, or would a new facia be needed?

I've got an Eonon GA5153F in my Octy and it's not bad, everything works okay except for the half of the steering wheel controls - this was my fault as it's not designed for the older CAN bus protocol in the Pre FL Octy!

I've been doing a lot of work to get mine running how I want it, including making a custom ROM for it. If you're technically minded IMO they're a good buy, but not so much if you're not.

I've got an Eonon GA5153F in my Octy and it's not bad, everything works okay except for the half of the steering wheel controls - this was my fault as it's not designed for the older CAN bus protocol in the Pre FL Octy!

I've been doing a lot of work to get mine running how I want it, including making a custom ROM for it. If you're technically minded IMO they're a good buy, but not so much if you're not.

Yeah I'm in IT and have ran custom roms on android phones for a while so should be good to go. I've read that a lot of people over XDA are using modified roms.  I'd be using nova launcher as well.

In terms of stability, smoothness etc., how is it to use daily?  I know they have a 30s startup which is horiffically slow compared to an OEM bolero etc, but then it's a much better and more complicated OS.  Did you get the DAB module also?

Yeah I'm in IT and have ran custom roms on android phones for a while so should be good to go. I've read that a lot of people over XDA are using modified roms.  I'd be using nova launcher as well.

In terms of stability, smoothness etc., how is it to use daily?  I know they have a 30s startup which is horiffically slow compared to an OEM bolero etc, but then it's a much better and more complicated OS.  Did you get the DAB module also?

A lot of people on XDA are using a Malaysk ROM, which I used for a little while but didn't like the styling. Nova launcher is a good bet, that's what I'm using and it makes things a lot nicer. 

The startup is slow, but like you say it is running a full OS and you soon get used to starting the ignition before you're even properly in the car. By the time you've got your seat belt on etc. it's pretty much finished booting - I recommend disabling the seat belt chime on your car! Once it's up and running it's fairly smooth, it pretty much runs like a smartphones with 1 gig of RAM running Android KitKat (e.g. Galaxy S2). I didn't get the DAB module so can't comment on that unfortunately. 

The only thing worth checking is if it's compatible with your car or not, the Eonon unit I've got is not listed as compatible with any Octavia's (and isn't fully), but I suspect it will work fine with the FL. I'm currently in the process of making my own CAN bus decoder which will be plugged into the USB port so I can get rid of the Eonon one and also add more features.

A lot of people on XDA are using a Malaysk ROM, which I used for a little while but didn't like the styling. Nova launcher is a good bet, that's what I'm using and it makes things a lot nicer. 

The startup is slow, but like you say it is running a full OS and you soon get used to starting the ignition before you're even properly in the car. By the time you've got your seat belt on etc. it's pretty much finished booting - I recommend disabling the seat belt chime on your car! Once it's up and running it's fairly smooth, it pretty much runs like a smartphones with 1 gig of RAM running Android KitKat (e.g. Galaxy S2). I didn't get the DAB module so can't comment on that unfortunately. 

The only thing worth checking is if it's compatible with your car or not, the Eonon unit I've got is not listed as compatible with any Octavia's (and isn't fully), but I suspect it will work fine with the FL. I'm currently in the process of making my own CAN bus decoder which will be plugged into the USB port so I can get rid of the Eonon one and also add more features.

Yeah mine's a 2010 FL VRS so it should have full compatability.  I don't have MFSW so that's not a concern right now, but I am hoping to retrofit it along with Maxidot if I can ever source the parts!