Tesla Model 3 pre-ordering

Nick P

Competitors on price when new they may be but check out the 36,000 mile 3 year value second hand.

BMW 320d M Sport Auto cost new £38,325 with 187bhp/400nm and 0-60mph in 6.6 seconds. Fuel cost per mile 11 pence. Retained value £17,173 (44.8%) losing £21,152.

Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus cost new £37,340 with 235bhp/375nm and 0-60mph in 5.8 seconds. Electricity cost per mile 3 pence. Retained value £25,645 (68.7%) losing £11,695.:thumbup:

• Like 1

Checked out the Model 3 today at Chadstone and I’ve now got to get back down to a sports sedan feel if we go for it.

I was certainly impressed with the quality, so the ‘stories’ being promoted don’t stack up AFAIC.

The standard model only gets the black interior but that doesn’t look so good with the blue.......and the red is $2800 more than the standard two coat white.

Cheekily Hyundai want the same money for the Kona highlander which just doesn’t look all that enticing for the money.

Model 3 vs BMW 320d:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tesla/model-3/107774/tesla-model-3-vs-bmw-3-series-electric-car-vs-diesel-showdown

Almost half predicted depreciation and BIK tax (company car), 1/4 running cost, and best of all, majority of equipment come as standard whereas the BMW needs to be spec'd up by £3000 to be comparable. Though you probably won't be paying the inflated RRP for the BMW.

One thing the article got wrong though, it's that Model 3 will be subject to "luxury" car tax. Any car RRP + admin fee is £40k or more pays this. Currently Model 3 is £40,840. The spec'd up BMW will also be subject to luxury car tax, but you do get a choice with the ICE car, by spec less stuff.

That also mean what's more impressive is that despite Model 3 having to pay "luxury" car tax, it is still 3rd best selling car in UK. No other car on that list is close to £40k.

1 hour ago, Ryeman said:

The finance/leasing companies will be looking at the higher depreciation rates and that will have a compounding effect of even lower sales rates.

Unfortunately I don't see the higher residuals reflected in the lease cost of a model 3. Given the comparison, the Tesla should be cheaper to lease than a 3-series but I'm not finding it to be the case.

Just now, Luckypants said:

Unfortunately I don't see the higher residuals reflected in the lease cost of a model 3. Given the comparison, the Tesla should be cheaper to lease than a 3-series but I'm not finding it to be the case.

I guess it has to earn it’s stripes on the local secondhand market first.

1 hour ago, Ryeman said:

I guess it has to earn it’s stripes on the local secondhand market first.

Indeed.

I'll be the ones scanning the second hand adverts, hoping to get a Model 3 for under £20k. Might have to wait 3-4 years :(

1 minute ago, wyx087 said:

Indeed.

I'll be the ones scanning the second hand adverts, hoping to get a Model 3 for under £20k. Might have to wait 3-4 years 😞

I’ve had some ag shares for some time which I’ve decided are our Tesla indulgence.

A yankee comparo -

I think it will be top three again this month with all the new 69-plate registrations as well as the rest of the backlog of previous pre-orders, but likely to drop out of the top 10 after that. The market for £40K+ vehicles just isn't that big compared to the compact family car or SUV segment. I can see them outselling BMW 3-series / Merc C-Class / Audi A4 easily, as availability seems good - TESLA website is quoting October delivery for cars reserved now, the others are 3-6 months wait unless they have a car you want in stock.

1 minute ago, Luckypants said:

I think it will be top three again this month with all the new 69-plate registrations as well as the rest of the backlog of previous pre-orders, but likely to drop out of the top 10 after that. The market for £40K+ vehicles just isn't that big compared to the compact family car or SUV segment. I can see them outselling BMW 3-series / Merc C-Class / Audi A4 easily, as availability seems good - TESLA website is quoting October delivery for cars reserved now, the others are 3-6 months wait unless they have a car you want in stock.

Yeah October out here also.

We went down to Melbourne last week and ogled a red 3.  It’s all of a sudden passé to see overwrought styling and cabin fussiness 

9 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

^^  American NCAP will not like that......

Mr Musk will then post on twitter that v11 will use Model 3 interior camera to make sure you are looking at  the road ;) 

How's the real life useability of your Leaf? Living in a flat without access to charger at home here. Is it realistic to look at electric now or wait a bit more?

6 hours ago, TonyTonic said:

How's the real life useability of your Leaf? Living in a flat without access to charger at home here. Is it realistic to look at electric now or wait a bit more?

I’d be going to Town Hall for advice on when I should go electric.

If they can’t give useful advice today you’d have to wonder what they have been thinking since sep 2015.