DSG drive D gear performance always differs

Hi Team,

I own a Skoda Laura (octavia 2) L&K 2.0 2010.

It was preowned and has done 112,000kms on the odo

Recently the Dual clutch was replaced at skoda service center.

Since ive bought it i noticed that at times the Drive gear is very responsive and the car has great pick and power but at times i notice a lag in power and pick . The difference is quite evident.

Now the Sports S gear is always great in its response and delivers consistent performance. So this confuses me as to what the issue might be

The same mechatronic attached to gearbox works good for S gear but differs in D gear.

Need to know what may the cause and fix to this issue.

Mine has always done this. I believe there is an adaptive element to it with input from accelerometers in the car. Basically if the gearbox thinks your are driving in a more assertive/sporty fashion then it will assume you want an earlier change down and later change up in gears. It is not necessarily thinking what we are thinking though - I always use manual when I know I will need a reliable response (running onto roundabouts, fast cornering and especially overtaking). To be fair most of the time it is fine.

• Like 1

Mine has always done this. I believe there is an adaptive element to it with input from accelerometers in the car. Basically if the gearbox thinks your are driving in a more assertive/sporty fashion then it will assume you want an earlier change down and later change up in gears. It is not necessarily thinking what we are thinking though - I always use manual when I know I will need a reliable response (running onto roundabouts, fast cornering and especially overtaking). To be fair most of the time it is fine.

Me too. They do respond and alter changes according to driver input.

It would be a fantastic gearbox if it could interpret our thoughts, Lol. A lot of the time mine changes way too early ie into 5th circa 35/40mph, so I am learning to use semi auto more often, now. I like the fact that it still changes itself down, and you just have to remember to change up (before the engine noise reminds you to).

this is "dynamic mode" all DSG's do it, mentioned somewhere in the handbook.... if it thinks you are up for a "brisk" drive it will enter dynamic mode and be a bit sharper :) otherwise it will head for the best economy it can....

Drive mode and sports mode have different programs.

When I first got my dsg tune, there was an issue with 2nd gear in sport mode.

No issues in drive or manual mode.

Ended up reprogramming the sport mode for the dsg tune and it was all good.

Edited by JR RS

D seems to prioritise economy and comfort.

So what I find is that it actually slips the clutches slightly to smooth out gear changes (especially noticeable when crawling at tickover then pressing the throttle it slips the clutch into 2nd).

S mode always seems to give a sharper gear change.