Dog Car Seat

Good afternoon all. Apparently my car has "arrived into stock" today. I'm looking to get a dog seat for my little puggle before the car delivered. The seat fits on the arm between the front seats. Would anyone please be kind enough to measure the space available on the arm rest, as the dog seat is 12" wide and I'm afraid it'll be too big. Thanks in advance.

What kind of seat is this?  I've also got a Puggle and (assuming it ever gets built/arrives) am looking into best ways to secure her in the car.  

It's called "Snoozer high back console seat".  I can only find it in America. Once you add shipping and excise duty it's a whopping £140 but if it stops her being sick in the car it's worth every penny!

From the looks of it you secure it by placing straps under the arm rest lid?

That's a lot of faith to place in the plastic clip that holds the lid shut. The weight of your dog is multiplied exponentially during sudden braking or impact at high speed (or any speed for that matter!) exerting a high amount of force on that clip.

I notice it doesn't appear to have been tested by a safety body, the NHTSA, for example.

Believe me, you don't want to see the damage a poorly secured pet can do to itself and the other occupants when it's flung around the inside of a vehicle.

From the looks of it you secure it by placing straps under the arm rest lid?

That's a lot of faith to place in the plastic clip that holds the lid shut. The weight of your dog is multiplied exponentially during sudden braking or impact at high speed (or any speed for that matter!) exerting a high amount of force on that clip.

I notice it doesn't appear to have been tested by a safety body, the NHTSA, for example.

Believe me, you don't want to see the damage a poorly secured pet can do to itself and the other occupants when it's flung around the inside of a vehicle.

It says American D.O.T. laboratory tested and it has two straps at the back that secure it to the back of the front seats.

It says American D.O.T. laboratory tested and it has two straps at the back that secure it to the back of the front seats.

Apologies, I didn't see either of those.

I think the dog is too close to the driver, and may prove to be a distraction.

It's all down to personal choice.

• 6 months later...

I have my own arrangements to allow me to drive.

A very high booster cushion gets me high enough to have a commanding view over the dash and to the bonnet. Extension pedals enable me to control throttle and brake. I can reach the auto gear selector level naturally.

Afaik, you can't get these adapters commercially. I had to have mine bespoke made. I suppose this explains why I haven't seen any other cats driving, so far.

This thread surprised me, because I hadn't seen any dogs either. If you pass me by, give me a wave.