buying a Superb II - what to look out for?

Having had the Octavia 4x4 for 10 years and just started a new job that requires a fair bit of driving, I am looking at changing to a newer car (the Octy is looking tired even though it goes really well).  I have thought about getting another Octavia but I always liked the look and size of the Superb.  what are the main things to check for apart from the obvious like service history etc?   Thinking of a 1.8 TSI, possibly a 4x4 if one comes up, don't mind if its manual or DSG so again what to look out for?  anyone running one remapped? Obviously considering LPG having had my last 3 vehicles running it but interested if there is anyone here that has done it already?

I did see a nice looking 2.0TFSI one but I guess that is possibly an import?

If the 1.8 TSI comes with a 7 speed DSG I'd stay with the manual. The 6 speed DSG or a manual box takes torque a lot better, especially if you're looking at a remap. Keep in mind that the Superb is heavier than the Octavia, so with the same engine it will be slower and the handling is more biased towards comfort. I changed from an Octavia 2 to a Superb 2 two years ago, and while the Superb has been significantly less reliable than the Octy (Most issues covered under warranty, but it's just had a clutch, DMF and master and slave cylinders done due to a leaking slave cylinder, worst thing the Octy needed in 5 years was a couple of CV boots), it's a nicer car in every way. Get an elegance spec if you want pretty much all the toys, L&K spec doesn't have a whole lot more.

Depending what year you're looking at you should be able to get a Mark 3 Octavia for Mark 2 Superb money - worth it if you want adaptive cruise control (Something I'd love in combination with a DSG box for inter city A road driving) and more up to date features. I haven't driven an Octy 3, but comments on here suggest its noticeably better than the Octy 2 but not as refined as the Superb 2. If you're already pleased with the Octy then it's well worth trying both. The Octy 3 got more space and lost a good bit of weight compared to the Octy 2 and the engines gained power, so they'll go better and use less fuel anyway. If you're looking at a Superb 3 then the Octy doesn't get a look in at all - I recommend the 4x4 280 bhp 2.0 TSI :P...

• Like 1

much as I lust after the one 2.0TSI 4x4 L&K Estate  on autotrader at 35K its just a little bit out of budget :D

looking to limit purchase and LPG conversion to 10k all in so older Superb as not a lot of mk3 Octavia 1.8TSI's fit that budget and they rarely come with heated leather like the elegance spec Superb

I'm curious about the LPG conversion - do you lose boot space because of the LPG tank or can you replace the existing fuel tank? In Ireland Diesel is heading for 20c a litre cheaper than petrol. LPG is about 20c a litre cheaper than diesel if you can find it.

much as I lust after the one 2.0TSI 4x4 L&K Estate  on autotrader at 35K its just a little bit out of budget :D

looking to limit purchase and LPG conversion to 10k all in so older Superb as not a lot of mk3 Octavia 1.8TSI's fit that budget and they rarely come with heated leather like the elegance spec Superb

I'm intending to peek & drive that L&K wagon this week, but I could possibly get close to that price for a new car.

DC

Having had the Octavia 4x4 for 10 years and just started a new job that requires a fair bit of driving, I am looking at changing to a newer car (the Octy is looking tired even though it goes really well).  I have thought about getting another Octavia but I always liked the look and size of the Superb.  what are the main things to check for apart from the obvious like service history etc?   Thinking of a 1.8 TSI, possibly a 4x4 if one comes up, don't mind if its manual or DSG so again what to look out for?  anyone running one remapped? Obviously considering LPG having had my last 3 vehicles running it but interested if there is anyone here that has done it already?

I did see a nice looking 2.0TFSI one but I guess that is possibly an import?

Que? The Superb 2 2.0tsI was sold in the UK in 2011 & 2012, & I think that it's the best engine choice.

Reasonable on fuel even after a 251ps remap.

I prefer driving it over my wife's FL Octy vRS, a little bit slower but more refined, but with the fun factor you get when driving an unassuming barge quickly.

DC