Powe steering Strange.

MartM

My power steering only works for about 1/4 turn to the left. The rest of the time its pretty solid.Theres no error codes regarding the power steering so am i right to asume that its not he sensor? How to do i check the pump to see if thats still working? Also if the pump was broke would it be hard to steer if the wheels aren't on the floor?

Thanks!

My power steering only works for about 1/4 turn to the left. The rest of the time its pretty solid.Theres no error codes regarding the power steering so am i right to asume that its not he sensor? How to do i check the pump to see if thats still working? Also if the pump was broke would it be hard to steer if the wheels aren't on the floor?

Thanks!

No, it should be light even with the engine turned off, only stiff at the ends like 5 cm before reaching the end.

Mine gets progressively a little stiffer if I move like ten times from lock to lock with raised wheels and engine turned off, although I have unsolved power steering issues so doesn't know if that is normal.

In your case everything points to the rack, any intervention done recently?

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/368878-no-power-steering-after-gearbox-is-put-in/

Edited by dm222

Check the fluid level first, then check to see that the sensor is giving a plausible reading as the steering wheel is turned.  If it was the pump, you may get a warning light or errors in other control units reporting communications problems with the steering.  If the power steering completely fails, they are very hard work to drive.

No, it should be light even with the engine turned off, only stiff at the ends like 5 cm before reaching the end.

Mine gets progressively a little stiffer if I move like ten times from lock to lock with raised wheels and engine turned off, although I have unsolved power steering issues so doesn't know if that is normal.

In your case everything points to the rack, any intervention done recently?

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/368878-no-power-steering-after-gearbox-is-put-in/

It started after i put gearbox back on. It first started first time i took box off it was easy to turn bar the last 1/4 on the right hand lock. But now it seems to be most of the time.

Check the fluid level first, then check to see that the sensor is giving a plausible reading as the steering wheel is turned.  If it was the pump, you may get a warning light or errors in other control units reporting communications problems with the steering.  If the power steering completely fails, they are very hard work to drive.

Checked fluid and it is a pain in the ass to drive.

It started after i put gearbox back on. It first started first time i took box off it was easy to turn bar the last 1/4 on the right hand lock. But now it seems to be most of the time.

Checked fluid and it is a pain in the ass to drive.

So you mixed up the bolts, almost sure. If so, you need a new rack :(

So you mixed up the bolts, almost sure. If so, you need a new rack :(

noticed a dent in the bottom of the rack, would a dent cause this? or would it need to be a hole? Thanks

I noticed a dent in the bottom of the rack, would a dent cause this? or would it need to be a hole? Thanks

He only has a dent too, if you look at the pics at page 3. I think that would be enough to cause that.

He only has a dent too, if you look at the pics at page 3. I think that would be enough to cause that.

Yup i have the same dent. Lovely. Any way to find out which rack ive got before i take it off?

Yup i have the same dent. Lovely. Any way to find out which rack ive got before i take it off?

If you have easy acess, check if there is a part number writen at it, I think there is.

There

1072_100312_235533_01_PTIMG.jpg

If not try the little paper.

Edited by dm222