Smartgate update - how?

First, I have a Samsung S6 Edge+ on Android 6.0.1.

When I connect to Smartgate my data connection get lost, and I use data a lot in the car so this is not an option! And I guess to have any real use of Mirrorlink data connection is a must, and I receive a message on the Columbus that I have to connect to Smartgate before connecting to Mirrorlink.

So I would like to update the firmware in the car to a version that supports Wifi Direct. I get the option to do that in the Skoda Service app when connected to Smartgate on wlan in the car. But of course it isn't possible, I have no data connection.

So, as I understand from this Skoda site http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/experience/product-features/smartgate/ I need to do it from the web - on a laptop. Download the file and transfer it to my phone to have it accessible. The linked page indeed have a "Software update via web" section, I it seems that I should be looking for a .ota file to download, but I cannot find it. Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Not familiar with S III, but Superb II has a trick to connect to data. When connected to bluetooth handsfree via rSAP, activate wifi hotspot via maxidot and connect phone to car`s wifi. You`ll get your data connection back. Not sure if this is the case.

• 3 months later...

Try this: Turn ignition on, open the SmartGate app in your phone, make sure that it is connected to the SmartGate of the vehicle, in the app open the menu, choose "Upgrade SmartGate". In there you should have a choice to select WiFi Direct version. After the upgrade switch the connection type to WiFi Direct in the app (menu > Settings > Type of connection). Default PIN should be the last six digits of you VIN.

In my opinion the WiFi support and connectivity module is in beta phase and not ready yet.

had to visit dealer for Smartgate's firmware upgrade, before it weren't able connect WiFi Direct

still useless toy, while doesn't provide GPS Coordinate's data :(

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have a link to the skoda site from where the smartgate update can be downloaded?

Can't find anything on their main site and there is nothing on the update portal...

• 4 months later...

Finally got mine to work with WiFi Direct. The suite of Smartgate-connected apps seems to be getting better, it is not as useless as it was a few months ago. The Skoda Drive app keeps a log of my routes and logs speed, acceleration, braking and fuel consumption.