Is this tyre showing "shark toothing"?

Hi all,

Can you have a look at this pic and tell me if its "shark toothing" or ""Feathering"?

Mine is a MY2012 Superb 4x4 Estate.

The does not wander, wobble or vibrate in any way, anywhere. But, a healthy dose of paranoia keeps me alive.

fe7db08a4b67202211b813a97b7397ca.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Impossible to tell from a photo. Jack the car up, spin the wheel slowly with one hand on the surface, you will feel if the tread blocks are uneven or the tyre is out of shape.

Sawtoothing usually appears on the rears and causes a 'droning' noise, which can be mistaken for a failed wheel bearing.

• Like 1

Can't really tell from that picture, you need to carefully check the tread depth at various positions around the circumference.

I recently posted a picture of a 'sawtooth' tyre here, post number 13 http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/392550-picked-up-new-car-yesterdaybit-of-a-drone-between-55ish-80ish-mph/ This was a severe case, but you'll get the idea of tread to no tread in a very short area, this happens around the whole tyre, effectively making it a very multi sided 'round' tyre. It is accompanied by a droning noise similar to a wheel bearing that needs changing.

• Like 1

You don't need to jack it up as it'll be happening all around the tyre just run the flat of your hand left and right over the tread area, you will notice immediately if one direction feels "sharper"

Edited by terrytowelling
  • Like 1

^ That. You'll feel the edges of the tread blocks hit your hand as you run it over the tyre one way, but not so much the other way. That's 'Sawtoothing' for you.