Rear Wash Wiper screen wash...(combi)

I find the rear wash wipe screen wash works ok at low speeds and allows enough fluid onto the screen to perform a full clear but on a motorway run in damp conditions (no rain as such just road from which sticks to the back of the car) the wiper only cleans the top 3/4's as the screen wash does not get chance to roll down the screen due to the airflow and wiper kicking in which just moves the water around the top half.

Looking in the rear view mirror and seeing a complete dry patch of smeared dirt can not be good for the wiper blade or glass.

Its like at speed the wiper needs say a 5 second pause before the first wipe to allow the screen to get wet, it also does not help that the nozzle is positioned in the top right corner of the rear screen too in the top level led brake light and can not be adjustered

1st world problems I know...

Edited by RickTT

Crap, crap and crap! Along with the crap front washers. What on earth were they thinking when they said "Yes, this is fine"  :finger: . Stuff like this really annoys the hell out of me. 

On my Mk.2 Combi, the front AND rear washers were excellent. Why go back to washers from 25 years ago? 

Money says the rear washer design will be updated quickly. 

Yeah The rear is cheap design. Plus expensive to fix if it block as it's on an angle so you can't really get into it from the outside.

Water and lighting.. Never a good mix..

The jet is too far to the right in my opinion.

On a positive.. My fronts are fine.. 3 washers per side

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to add... The rear washer on our rapid space back is the same design and also on the new passat estate... However the pressure and direction on them is a lot more powerful

• 5 months later...

Just wondering if anyone has yet found any way to adjust or otherwise improve the direction of the water dribble coming out of the tiny nozzle? On mine it   only ever manages to wet the top half of the swept area before the wiper comes around again. It would be passable if there was a delay before the wiping starts, but as it is the wiping starts straight away so any water running down from the top of the swept area is cleared off before it gets a chance to reach the bottom half.

3 minutes ago, Mon55 said:

Just wondering if anyone has yet found any way to adjust or otherwise improve the direction of the water dribble coming out of the tiny nozzle? On mine it   only ever manages to wet the top half of the swept area before the wiper comes around again. It would be passable if there was a delay before the wiping starts, but as it is the wiping starts straight away so any water running down from the top of the swept area is cleared off before it gets a chance to reach the bottom half.

No, the nozzle is moulded into the plastic, i looked at trying to adjust but theres simply nothing to adjust.  I just find i have to flood the rear screen with fluid to get it clean..

Guess if it could be coded to add a pause before it wipes if would help.... other option is to install a higher pressure pump.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem. Need to waste >0.5L of fluid to get the rear screen clear. And since I live in Sweden with our crap weather I've basically given up on seeing anything out the back. I would have to pay more for washer fluid than for diesel per km if I want to be able to see out through the rear screen...