Eibach Pro Kit - Bilstein B4 or B4 sport? What other susp parts need replacing?

My rear shock absorbers have completely had it and are no longer capable of keeping the backend planted on rougher roads, so it's time to replace them. As the car has done ~180k I'm thinking I'll do the fronts at the same time, as I don't know when they were last done but I suspect it was a long time ago and I'd quite like to improve the handling a bit anyway.

I'm planning on going for Bilstein B4, which I understand to be good quality OE+ parts, which is fine for me. I thought that while I was taking the shocks etc. out I'd stick an Eibach Pro Kit in, I've heard good things about the pro kit handling wise and wouldn't mind reducing that arch gap anyway! With that in mind, would it be best to go for the standard B4 shocks or the B4 sport shocks? I'm looking to keep the comfort roughly at the level it already is.

As the car's done quite a few miles, I'm thinking it might be worth renewing some of the other suspension components while I've got the parts off, does anyone know which parts are most likely to need doing?

Thanks

One other thing - I've got Xenon headlights, will I need to do an adjustment after a relatively small drop (with the pro kit) or will it be okay with just self levelling? 

front top mounts + bearings are worth doing at the same time

you might want to consider a B12 kit if you are going to get pro-kit springs as they come with the upgraded b6/b8 shocks, best place to source is German ebay

front top mounts + bearings are worth doing at the same time

you might want to consider a B12 kit if you are going to get pro-kit springs as they come with the upgraded b6/b8 shocks, best place to source is German ebay

Thanks, I'll add them to the list.

I've been considering the B12 kit, but on German eBay you can get a B4 set for about about £185 posted and the Pro Kit for about £115, so the full setup will only be £300.

The cheapest I've seen a B12 kit is £485 posted (which is a pretty good deal, admittedly), but is it really worth the extra £185 for the B6 over the B4?

Edit to add: as I'm looking to keep the comfort as it is now or better, is the B12 kit likely to be too harsh anyway? 

Edited by TobyMTDI

Put simply NO. On most roads most if the r time the B12 is more comfortable than our 75,000 mile std vrs suspension.

It is firmer but it deals with bumps with one movement do is ultimately more comfortable.

Some do feel harsher, but are dealt with quicker.

If you are fitting yourself those prices are good, but you need to check fitting cost. Look for my other responses on this and you will see where you can get the kit supplied and fitted for £650 ish. Our car we additionally changed top mounts, bearings, had laser alignment, a seized bolt needed drilling out, a cv boot was shot (no surprise the other side had been replaced the year before), and couple of other components. I suspect most people will find other bits need replacing.

The b8 shocks are monotube. And better quality than the b4.

If you live near Guildford happy to take you out so you can see. My only regret is waiting 2 years to do it

Fully laden it was amazing too, much more composed than std and did not bottom our despite being lower

Finally B12 comes with B8 shocks

Edited by solwood

I've got a pro-kit installed on my e36 bmw, i spoke to bilstein Uk and they said that tehy recommend the B8 dampers for pro-kits and eany lowering springs. Essentially I was told that b6 dampers are better than b4 but still standard stroke length, and that in turn the B8 dampers are valved the same as b6 but with a shorter stroke for any lowering springs. I noticed when i ordered my dampers that i could order B8 dampers in twin tube (cheaper and not as good) and monotube (more expensive but better) formats, i went for monotube as i've had a car with monotube coilovers before and the damping was awesome, in my opinion its the damping that you feel as quality and comfort rather than the spring rate, you can get away with higher spring rates and still have a 'relatively' comfortable ride if the damping is good enough to keep it all in control.

I'd recommend a call to bilstein UK to check what they suggest from the horses mouth. I ordered my shocks from this website I think, there's a bit more info on the differences between the different models of dampers. Check the 'notes' section and you'll see which ones are monotube.

https://balancemotorsport.co.uk/suspension/shock-absorbers-dampers/bilstein-shocks

It might still be that the decision is governed by cost (i think i spent almost £600 on dampers springs and rear top mounts once all said and done for my bmw) but at least you'll know whats what and can make an informed decision. I think bilsteins official line of what dampers you use differs slightly from what most resellers say.

Thanks for the replies, I think as this is only a 1.9TDI daily driver I think I'm going to go for the B4's and use the extra money for other things - I have to admit the B12 kit is tempting though!

Re B4 vs B4 sport, will the standard B4's work with the pro kit or am I likely to see problems? I wouldn't mind being able to put the original springs back on if ever I wanted to.

As mentioned, if you're going for the Pro springs you'll need the B4 Sport.

Damian @ DPM Performance 

Okay, thanks.

Are there any differences between the B4 and B4 sport besides stroke length?