1.2 Tsi Charge Cooler Leak

Hi All,

I'm hopping some of you might be able to answer a few of my queries.

Quick back story

I was on my way back to work after lunch and my dash came up with low coolant level warning, while filling it back up I noticed a puddle forming under the front of my car. Upon inspection there was a not so nice fountain of liquid springing from what i believe is the charge cooler radiator (the thin one at the bottom). The radiator look to have been hit by a stone or similar on one of the pipes and bent some of the fins surrounding it. :sweat:

I do not have any pics at the moment but can hopefully take a few and upload them tomorrow.

I have spent some time searching the net and this forum for answers. I believe the part need is 6R0145805H Additional cooler for coolant

I am yet to go to a garage for a price for them to fix/replace the part.

While searching and reading about what charge coolers do, I was wondering if anyone had upgraded to a larger unit, or had separated the charge cooler system from the rest of the cooling system in the hope of getting colder inlet temperatures.

My car is a 1.2 Tsi Fabia Monte Carlo 105ps Manual

Any advice will be welcome as I don't know as much as I think I do.

Sorry it took so long to put a picture up.

The damage is in the red circle.

post-95488-0-13866600-1464018738_thumb.gif

Have got a price from a garage of less than £300 for the work.

Does that sound  a reasonable price?

I'd guess that currently, these parts will only be available from VAG so you will really need to pay what is being asked, that will be a bumper off job to get in there. Next plan might be to buy and fit some sort of protection for that area, I think that it has been covered already in this forum.

Edited by rum4mo

For what it's worth, in our workshop we would almost certainly repair that for a fraction of the cost then pressure test it. Take it to a radiator motor factor for repair in your local area, or ask you dealer to do so. It's a 15min job for the repairers and apart from the dealer time to take it apart it should be a lot cheaper.