Advice on selling a car please

joncc

Hi all

Where's the best place to sell a £20k+ car do you think?

I've got a March '15 TT 2.0 TFSI SPORT and I think it's time to sell and go back to something more pedestrian.

Obvious choices are:

- Webuyanycar

- Dealers

- Private

Private appeals because I'll get a better price presumably BUT the risk of getting reliably paid worries me.

Also I wonder if people spending over £20k on a car buy privately?

All thoughts very welcome!

Try webuyanycar for a base price and also their rivals (plenty about now offering same service if you google it) if any offer you what you need, take it. I sold my Octy vRS to a similar service for £1500 more than webuyanycars online offer (before they try to chip bits off it on the day). Dealers worth a try too, but if going more pedestrian some 'might' be able to take it as a trade in depending on what your spending might be the easiest way to go. Private sale should be possible for best price, but I detest selling privately so much I have stopped doing it now, even to the point when I got my Fabia last year I decided to keep the Octavia and run both. Waste of time calls and texts tyre kickers, dreamers, agencies and total dead beats........ Worth a try, but might be worth getting the cheapest pay as you go phone or sim for an old handset to use for ad.

A friend, who is very hard to please, tried Webuyanycar out of interest just before he advertised his car. I couldn't believe it when he said he'd sold it to them for £50 less than he wanted for the car. He waited, on-site, until his bank confirmed the money was in his account. It's worth a try, you've got nothing to lose.

Edited by GeoffH

I recently typed my registration number into a few online sites and the best price was from a company called; Money4 your motors.

They were £1500 more than "we buy any car" which a lot of people use as a guide.

Went into a couple of main dealers yesterday looking at some options and they all agreed with the higher valuation as a trade value for my car with no quibble, saying it was bang on the higher end of the prices they were showing on screen.

Reading reviews on them, as long as you are honest with the condition and declare any damage they will pay what they offered.

Don't write off the dealers, I was offered a really good backwards deal, with a fair bit of cash back in my favour on a cheaper brand new car.

Think I wouldn't even attempt a private sale on £20k plus car which is same place as me, too risky plus if your motor is "sought" after you could be inviting someone to come round and weigh things up for a return visit when you are out etc. That is my worry.

Edited by Defenderben
  • Like 2

I recently typed my registration number into a few online sites and the best price was from a company called; Money4 your motors.

They were £1500 more than "we buy any car" which a lot of people use as a guide.

Went into a couple of main dealers yesterday looking at some options and they all agreed with the higher valuation as a trade value for my car with no quibble, saying it was bang on the higher end of the prices they were showing on screen.

Reading reviews on them, as long as you are honest with the condition and declare any damage they will pay what they offered.

Don't write off the dealers, I was offered a really good backwards deal, with a fair bit of cash back in my favour on a cheaper brand new car.

Think I wouldn't even attempt a private sale on £20k plus car which is same place as me, too risky plus if your motor is "sought" after you could be inviting someone to come round and weigh things up for a return visit when you are out etc. That is my worry.

Thanks. Money 4 your motors offering £3k more than webuyanycar! [emoji12]