Digestive enzymes

Adenuf

All other issues aside, there's a significant red flag on this one - the advertising copy for the enzyme product you are referring to actually states that the product hasn't got U.S. Federal Drug Administration approval.

On these grounds alone, I'd say leave it alone unless a medical practitioner has actually prescribed it - I presume not. No doubt if we look on the NHS Business Services site, we wont find it listed in the NHS drug tariff guide or similar.

This product seems to have everything in it, in terms of enzymes (Including some I have used)  as the kitchen sink. Can you be sure that some of these are not contra-indicated for use at the same time - who has done the testing ?

From personal experience from somebody whose just 6 months down the line from completion of surgery and chemotherapy for intestinal lymphoma (Cancer), the symptoms of which I'm sure I had been suffering from for at least 18 months to two years before my emergency admission to hospital (Although the docs say the actual disease process is far more fast acting) were such that the temptation to treat the multifarious symptoms with off-the-shelf medications, was overwhelming, particularly if the medication is partially effective, that you risk overlooking the main event - as I did.

If you have a long-standing condition which causes you to even consider taking some off-the-shelf jollop on a regular basis, then surely it worth the going to a doctor and getting it properly diagnosed, particularly, if you're in the over 60s age range, as I am this being the age range when a lot of the body's systems start to go tits.

Slow digestion/post prandial somnolence (Post meal kip) can be a sign of endocrine (Hormone) problems - i.e. the over-delivery of tryphtophan and over production of melatonin and serotonin causing the parasympathetic nervous system to go dominant and sending you (Or bits of you i.e. guts)  to sleep.

Have you tried have a small de-stressing nip before a meal and/or  having a walk after a meal - stress hormones (Unless its the fear and fight ones) can cause your digestive system to close down. 

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick
  • Like 1

It's not really anything in particular tbh. It's the time I eat that seems to affect me the most.

I mean, I made a very nice chicken curry with rice and broccoli tonight at 6pm, and despite going out for a beautiful fairly strenuous walk this evening, I can still feel it lying in my stomach.

Food tends to stick on its way 'down' sometimes, which is possibly an MS related problem, as the muscles don't always act as they should. Very random.

My digestion problems hve become much more intolerant this last couple of years though, so I've started taking those probiotic yoghurts, and as in the op, been looking at these enzyme tabs too.

They can't do any harm, but before forking out for a months supply, I was just wondering if that highly rated one or something similar had been used with success by anyone in here?

Chin up lads. We are not alone ey! ;)

Could be the rice, could be something in the curry sauce.

Without an exclusion diary you may not easily identify the culprit

• Like 1

You certainly seem to know your stuff Nick.

I was hopeful that I'd get a decent intelligent response as I'm ignorant on the subject, but am learning.

I've got to go to the quacks soon just for a BP checkup to see if these tabs are having the desired effect, so I'm going to discuss this with him.