Columbus Jukebox Capacity

Anyone know what the overall storage capacity available is? Across the internal HDD, SD card(s) and USB HDD (if that's a possibility).

I think I read in an earlier topic that the internal hdd is actually a 30Gb ssd. My L&K has 11.5GB available space on the ssd, nothing saved to it, rest taken up by system. I have a 128GB sd card in each slot + a 128gb sub stick in the sub socket. Enough room for my music collection...

How do you transfer stuff onto the jukebox HD? I haven't figured that out yet and just have music on an SD.

SD card in to slot

Media option on Columbus

Select Options

Think it's then manage or import which will gives you the relevant next steps.

• Like 1

There are no problems with the larger sd cards then? The manual i found from the system in a 2013 octavia said that 32GB sd's were the largest supported.

If you insert two sd's and a usb as you stated, is it clever enough to combine them into a seamless album library (assuming the id3 tagging is good)?

There are no problems with the larger sd cards then? The manual i found from the system in a 2013 octavia said that 32GB sd's were the largest supported.

If you insert two sd's and a usb as you stated, is it clever enough to combine them into a seamless album library (assuming the id3 tagging is good)?

No it's not that clever I'm afraid. Each socket is treated as a separate source which you have to select manually. To be honest I prefer it that way as I like to store spoken word/comedy shows/podcasts on the limited space of the jukebox ( the SSD ), classical/jazz on the USB and the rest on the two SD cards. It keeps the "database" view nice and neat as you don't get pop/rock/classical composers/comedians etc all mixed up when listed in the "artists" view. The database view only shows data for the currently selected source...

Anyone know what the overall storage capacity available is? Across the internal HDD, SD card(s) and USB HDD (if that's a possibility).

If you are moving from the BMW to a Superb the quality of the Columbus will blow your mind! I swapped a BMW 320ED for a Superb L&K, best decision I ever made...

• Like 1

The SSD is 30 GB and is split ⅔ for OS and ⅓ for user.

Each source is treated as a separate device - Jukebox, SD 1, SD 2, USB, (USB 1 and USB 2 if rear USB fitted - not available in UK), WLAN (WiFi), Bluetooth.

With the exception of the internal SSD (Jukebox) the size of memory attached by USB, SD Card or Wireless is not in itself an issue.

The limitations are those imposed by the internal memory and the device OS...

No more than 1,000 items (files or folders) can be in any single folder. This has been a limitation since the old ICE.

No more than 10,000 files per storage device can be read... The OS scans the files when you attach a memory device and creates a database on the SSD, then writes a tiny file to the external device that references this database.

This database will not extend beyond appx. 10,000 entries. Beyond 10,000 you will get an error message similar to "cannot read/scan some files".

If using solely high quality MP3 files you'll easily reach this limit before filling a 64 GB SD Card, so anything larger for MP3 alone is a wasted resource.

The 2 TB HDD that contained my entire music collection of 50,000 songs and was used with few problems through MDI in the Superb II is now useless using the Superb III's USB connection.

Initially I saw this as a disappointment, but now consider it offset by the new and far superior user interface as well as support for formats other than just MP3 and WMA.

If you have an iPod or similar then the above limits do not apply as the file handling is still done by the iPod.

I've copied about 2,000 of my favourite tracks to Jukebox (all converted to high quality MP3 or m4a to save space) and this has almost filled it to the brim.

My favourite artists/albums are mostly FLAC and these I keep on SD Cards.

Can you fit larger capacity drives? Yes, but the OS will still format it using ⅔-⅓ proportions.

Acronyms for technophobes: SSD = Solid State Drive, HDD = Hard Disc Drive, OS = Operating System, ICE = In-Car Entertainment, MDI = Multi-Device Interface.

• Like 4

Can you fit larger capacity drives? Yes, but the OS will still format it using ⅔-⅓.

Do you have experience of upgrading the ssd on the MkIII?

Where is it located? What is the process for formatting it and initialising it with the Columbus?

I'm using a 128GB SD Card in my Columbus with no issues!

Wow, that's a bit more than I'd need for our combined music databases!

We are using his 'n her SD cards in all the cars, but not too much on the Hard Drives, 'cos it takes soooo long to transfer from an SD card.

(We have a 2010 RNS 510, a 2012 Columbus & a 2016 Discover Pro, which has a 64 GB SSD, so I'm surprised that the new generation Columbus has "only" a 32 GB SSD).

DC

Wow, that's a bit more than I'd need for our combined music databases!

We are using his 'n her SD cards in all the cars, but not too much on the Hard Drives, 'cos it takes soooo long to transfer from an SD card.

(We have a 2010 RNS 510, a 2012 Columbus & a 2016 Discover Pro, which has a 64 GB SSD, so I'm surprised that the new generation Columbus has "only" a 32 GB SSD).

DC

I got that size as iTunes tells me I have the best part of 85 GB of Music lol :D

Do you have experience of upgrading the ssd on the MkIII?

Where is it located? What is the process for formatting it and initialising it with the Columbus?

Sorry Rifleman, not much help there.

Almost by accident I came across an article last year on a Russian web site when I was researching the possibility of adding a second USB input.

A guy had stripped down the mib2 and there was a single picture of the unit lying in bits (which grabbed my attention).

Using a Russian to English translation utility I worked out that (among other things) he was replacing the SSD but I paid little further interest as it made no mention of the USB, which was my sole interest.

As for the second USB input, I never did find an answer and dropped it once I realised my intentions of connecting my 2TB hard drive semi-permanently would prove pointless.