Skoda Hull Thought These Were OK for a while.

Took up the brake fluid and air con service for £89 at DM Keith a couple of weeks ago. Their vehicle health check gave an amber warning on brake disks, but was told they would be OK for a while. As I'm doing a lot of towing this year I decided get them all replaced. Couldn't believe the state of the disks when my mechanic showed me them.

DMK had quoted £445. Pads and disks delivered from Horton Skoda for £210, my local mechanic did a service for me and fitted the brakes for £60.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33911444@N02/26995219324/in/datetaken/

Edited by mark999

For reference the part nos for a 2010 2.0pd Scout are:-

Front Disks JZW-615-301-J

Rear Disks. 1KO-615-601-AA

Front Pads. J7W-698-151-B

Rear Pads. 5KO-698-451-A

Your old discs looked shocking I bet your car stops better now

It sure does. Amazingly it passed the MOT brake test a few weeks ago with flying colours. The front of the disks didn't look too bad.

So glad I got them changed.

Mark

:(  Good grief! You been keeping your car at the bottom of an ocean?!

How was the braking before? I don't understand how you didn't notice as the caliper squeezes both pads against the two faces of the disc. Unless your caliper sliders were seized solid and only one pad was being pushed against the face of the disc surely you'd hear a grinding noise and have very ineffective brakes. Do you have pics of the outside of the discs and the pads? It would be interesting to see these too.

Mine were not quite as bad, but still passed an MOT with no advisories.

IMG_20160326_152704870_zpsj8r0k3bb.jpg

The problem is on the rear of the disc, unless you take the calliper off, you cannot see any of the brake disc. The calliper and dust shield completely cover it.

Wow they're bad.

They shouldn't be advising on the condition of the brakes unless they are fully inspecting them (rear of the discs included).

It seems quite common on the Octavia and Yeti for the rear of the discs to be in such a state. Maybe the discs aren't pressing onto the rear surface properly?

Mine were a little shot on the rears too but nowhere near as bad:

IMG_20150526_081922_zpsahnchvdq.jpg

IMG_20150526_081918_zpsr2ugvnxa.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't take photos of the front faces. The only grinding was first thing in the morning after it had rained. Braking performance was OK, I regularly drive a couple of other cars so would have noticed. Definitely going to keep a closer eye on them in future.