Superb VRS and Kodiaq VRS planned

According to AutoExpress today, Skoda are lining up a Superb VRS (possibly with the Golf R engine) and a Kodiaq VRS 4x4. Interesting! I'm not sure how much extra the Superb VRS would add over the 280 but if it has a proper diff and lowered suspension that's something I suppose. It's definitely a step up in recognising the demand for good petrol cars rather than the usual diesel-diesel-diesel patter we've seen for years. Maybe the 'surprisingly large' uptake of the 220 and 280 has prompted them to rethink the viability?

A flagship Superb vRS would have to go over and above the existing range-topper, which is powered by a 276bhp 2.0-litre turbo with four-wheel drive. It’s possible the 296bhp powertrain from the Volkswagen Golf R will be drafted in instead, possibly with a small power boost to help differentiate the two models. That could then be offered exclusively with four-wheel drive in the forthcoming Kodiaq SUV at a later date.

Good old Auto Express! Least they've managed to have a named 'source' this time.

But I still won't hold my breath. Then we have Skoda UK in the mix as well....

• Like 1

Of course, with Skoda I'm always skeptical (and usually right) haha. But it would certainly be nice... 

I'd fancy the Superb VRS! Maybe it needs even more power to go toe-to-toe with the BMW 340i.

Maybe bring back a new iteration of the 3.6 V6 but in hot V configuration with big-small twin chargers and dual injection... Then add in lower, stiffer suspension, a decent diff, proper seats and a decent throttle response. We can dream!  :sun:

• Like 1

280 already already uses the golf r engine though?

I've been told that the 280 does use the "R" engine but with different mapping / exhaust system. I'd like to be able to compare an R & a 280 on the same 

dyno, & on the same day. 

I suspect that Skoda just might be a little conservative with their power / torque figures! 

DC

• Like 1