Android & USB Port

Quick question, I have a MY16 VRS and have tried to connect my Samsung Galaxy S6 to the car via the USB port. It connects fine allowing me to access files etc from the phone using the touch screen in the car. However when it comes to Spotify it won't play through the car but just plays through my phone. It'll play whatever music is on my phone but not Spotify. I have selected the option off my phone 'MIDI' which states is for audio files to be played but when I select that, the in car Touchscreen says 'Device not supported'.

I have success with the IPhone 6s playing via USB and spotify and this was just using the normal iPhone cable not the MDI supplied by the dealer.

Any suggestions??

I would never have expected what you've done to work.  The MIDI USB option is to connect keyboards etc. to phone apps:

https://www.midi.org/articles/android-midi-in-marshmallow

AFAIK the only way to get Spotify to work (unless you have Android Auto) would be to stream it via Bluetooth.

I don't know if you specified Android Auto / Apple CarPlay on your car- but if you did that may explain why it worked with the iPhone. IIRC, CarPlay will automagically start when the phone is connected via USB.  Android Auto will not.

Short Version:

• Connect via Bluetooth or
  • If you have Android Auto then make sure the app is on the phone and Android Auto is started on the head unit if you want to access Spotify via USB.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I've been using Bluetooth to for Spotify and works fine. But wouldn't mind using the USB port (if it could be done) so the graphics are on screen and also so it charges at the same time.

Defo don't have Android Auto or Apple Play. Just used the Mrs standard USB cable for the IPHONE and the car picked it up straight away, steering wheels controls also worked too.

I'm just puzzled that the car system will let me go into my phones files and play music from the phones media but not pick up spotify?? Surely I'm missing something....

Yeah I've been using Bluetooth to for Spotify and works fine. But wouldn't mind using the USB port (if it could be done) so the graphics are on screen and also so it charges at the same time.

Defo don't have Android Auto or Apple Play. Just used the Mrs standard USB cable for the IPHONE and the car picked it up straight away, steering wheels controls also worked too.

I'm just puzzled that the car system will let me go into my phones files and play music from the phones media but not pick up spotify?? Surely I'm missing something....

The car is reading the music files off the phone using USB and playing them itself. Spotify isn't a file, it's an application that runs on the phone. You should be able to play Spotify from the phone over Bluetooth while plugged into the USB. If you want Spotify to appear on the car screen you need Android Auto or CarPlay.

Disclaimer: I've never used Spotify on any Apple products.