Fabia mk1 towbar

Hi everyone.

Have a 2006 fabia VRS and want to fit a tow bar without cutting the rear bumper up.

Also being a fabricator welder, I'm going to make my own but need something to work from.

Does anyone have a dimensional drawing that will sit under the car and come up and around the rear bumper that I can work from to make my own?

Really appreciate it!

Thanks

AFAIK (it's been a bone of contention for a long time) the vRS was never type approved for towing so you could fall foul of the law if you use one, insurance may be void etc etc.

I'm sure others will confirm this. Or not.

Sorry if there is already a thread for this, but couldn't find any regarding an engineering drawing to fabricate one.

Just had a look if it was illegal or not and it does seem to be a bit of a grey area, so will call up my insurance and ask if it will be okay or not and will let you know :)

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sorry if there is already a thread for this, but couldn't find any regarding an engineering drawing to fabricate one.

Just had a look if it was illegal or not and it does seem to be a bit of a grey area, so will call up my insurance and ask if it will be okay or not and will let you know :)

re the fabrication; those with a vRS have cut the bumper but, you could always fit a non vRS bumper and maybe smooth the part where the bump strip are.

The choice is yours but it's totally up to you and the insurance company :)

I'm sure there were threads on this before and someone confirmed its OK to tow. 

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/372913-mk1-fabia-vrs-tow-bar-legal/

Hi, I thought I'd share my findings after reading all the fear mongering on the forum. It appears to be a common misconception that no towing limits in a V5 means no towing. This is wrong, it simply means the manufacturer hasn't shared that information with the DVLA. After phone calls with both the DVLA and Skoda I have identified it is legal to fit a tow bar to the VRS and tow up to 800kg (http://www.uktow.com...ng capacity.asp).

Skoda say they will not fit it themselves as the rear bumper needs adapting to fit the tow bar, but If you are happy to cut the bumper to fit one yourself, there are no reasons you cannot tow (provided you meet all the appropriate trailer laws: lights, buzzers, weights etc.)

Hope this helps, and saves others the hassle of ringing round.

END QUOTE.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

Brilliant will use then and modify to suit if need be, will just dimension it up when I finally have a spare moment :)

Will post the drawing when I have finished.

Thanks