Wind noise, better with deflectors?

(Apologies in advance for my attempts to describe the wind noise...)

Whenever going for 25+mph and opening any window fully, I get horrible wind noise in the car. I'm not talking regular "whoosh", but more like "FLAPFLAPFLAPFLAP", to the point where it physically hurts my ears, must be some big pressure variations, and it's impossible to talk in the car. I'm not expecting to be able to drive fast with my windows down, but this feels worse than any car I've been in before. I've looked at wind deflectors, but it seems most people use them for rain deflection, and not as much for wind. I even think I've read that wind noise gets worse (?).

Can anyone elighten me?

Wind noise with the windows fully up is certainly louder but not intrusive.

With the windows down in my experience the noise is about the same. I know what noise you are describing. Have you tried opening a rear window at the same time? I've heard that can help equalise the pressure but can't confirm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's mostly the rear window that's open. My 3-year old is rather insistive. :) The noise is marginally better if I open more windows but still very uncomfortable.

Edited by Aslak

deflectors do help a little as you can vent with a small opening but lower the glass much below the deflectors and it'll be "business as usual" on the noise front, almost!

• Like 1

I added wind deflectors after 2 weeks of ownership but cannot say they made much difference in my opinion. Having said that I got them for the purpose of being able to have a small gap when its raining. So I didn't any mental note on the wind buffering noise.