A/C normal or eco mode

Hi I have a Octavia 1.6se dsg I have noticed the air conditioning isn't has good as my last car (astra) been reading these forums and  A/C normal or eco mode is mentioned been through all the settings but cant find it anyone help me on this please  thanks

I know what you mean, the climate control in my Yeti was far superior than either of my MK3 Octavia's have been.

Air con Eco mode is activated when you put the drive select into Eco, all other modes it remains normal with the exception of individual should you configure it that way:

Mine works fine (up to 40 C) in normal mode.

I don't need the strong setting at all.

Eco mode is weak in hot summer, I don't use it.

I have a 2.0 TDI and A/C works better than in my previos Golf 5 (1.9 TDI).

Mine works fine (up to 40 C) in normal mode.

I don't need the strong setting at all.

Eco mode is weak in hot summer, I don't use it.

I have a 2.0 TDI and A/C works better than in my previos Golf 5 (1.9 TDI).

Funny that you should say that about the 1.9tdi as my previous  Octavia 1.9pd mk2 with a single zone was only just adequate for our most extreme conditions (47 degree C was the highest temperature I saw).

My mk3 has basic non climate controlled aircon but performs better, much to my surprise. Quite impressed with its efficiency on a run too.

Funny that you should say that about the 1.9tdi as my previous  Octavia 1.9pd mk2 with a single zone was only just adequate for our most extreme conditions (47 degree C was the highest temperature I saw).

My mk3 has basic non climate controlled aircon but performs better, much to my surprise. Quite impressed with its efficiency on a run too.

In my case the previous Golf and the current O3 has (had) dual zone climatronic.

With the Golf I had to play with the temperature settings. Spring/Autumn: 22 C, hot summer: 19 C.

The O3 cools the hot cabin much faster and I don't have to play with the settings that much (max. 1 C).

(Since I enabled the 'Hot countries' bit (with VCDS) on the climate module I don't have to play at all...22.5 C seems OK for me in all weather conditions.)

If you press the setup button on the Climate Control, you can set the AC profile - mine is set to strong (the coolest setting basically).

Never knew this.

Have been pretty disappointed with the climate control thus far..

Never knew this.

Have been pretty disappointed with the climate control thus far..

Yeah I have to say it's not the strongest. The best AC I ever had was in my Mk1 Fabia vRS...was like being in an ice box!

I must admit, on a really hot day (for Newcastle) I set mine to 17, normally set to 19.

When I've put it on 16 or Low it is absolutely freezing, one of the best AC systems on any car I've had. And I've had 35+ cars!

• 2 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it saves starting a new one :)

Does the eco/normal/high mode also apply to heating or just to cooling? Being dead nesh, I want the car as warm as possible as quickly as possible and just noticed my settings were on normal mode. If it just applies to air con cooling, then there's no point changing it.

thanks

Nick

1 hour ago, NikTheGeek said:

I want the car as warm as possible as quickly as possible and just noticed my settings were on normal mode. If it just applies to air con cooling, then there's no point changing it.

thanks

Nick

If you want it warm quickly buy a petrol car, diesel is Fn slow to warm up

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

If you want it warm quickly buy a petrol car, diesel is Fn slow to warm up

Exactly.

Or install one of those Scandinavian pre-warmers.

Or go to doctor and see what the real promlem is. That much intolerance of the cold in amale is unnatural unless he mispelled 'greek' in his name. :)

• Like 1

Whilst the diesel takes ages to warm up, I find I start to get warm air into the cabin in a reasonable time. It's possible there is an electric heating element to heat the cabin air until the coolant is warm enough to provide the heat. 

I think the eco/normal only applies to the action of the air con system, so cooling only.