Best car for Euro Trips

Maybe this is in the wrong section. Not sure.

I want to know what people think, so here I am.

At around £1000-1500, is there a better all round car for long journeys across Europe through the sun and the snow carrying practically my entire life than a Mk1 vRS?

I used to own one for a very happy 5 years and have many happy memories. I sold her because of a then important girl who is no longer relevant (there's a lesson in there somewhere) and the infamous 17705. 

But faced with the need for a replacement for my 110 derv Leon after a fender bender here in Italy, the question has reared it's ugly head. 

I drive to and from Italy twice a year minimum and ski every winter. Diesel is much cheaper over here, but PD130s are starting to get leggy and are still expensive for a decent one. 

Seems to me the Mk1 vRS is a superb all rounder with good build, reliability, some speed, comfort, space and decent on economy when using cruise control.

Thoughts?

Seems to me the Mk1 Superb is a good all rounder with good build, reliability, some speed, comfort, space and decent on economy when using cruise control.

FTFY

After owning a couple of MKI PD130 Superb’s (and a MKI Octavia) the Superb would be my choice every day of the week for such journeys.

(Just make sure the ‘water ingress’ issue they ALL suffer with has been sorted)

FTFY

After owning a couple of MKI PD130 Superb’s (and a MKI Octavia) the Superb would be my choice every day of the week for such journeys.

(Just make sure the ‘water ingress’ issue they ALL suffer with has been sorted)

Ha! Thanks. I love the value that a Superb in 130 offers. But the seats don't fold and the practicality of a hatch is huge when skiing and touring in general.

A slightly newer MK1 Superb DOES have folding seats. And the boot is huge too, no problem for a touring holiday, plus I seem to remember they had a ski hatch anyway,

Gizmo beat me :)

Edited by chris_1d
  • Like 1

Ok, so the seats move. But Superbs on a 54 plate in 130 are at minimum £1500 and seemingly over 2k the majority of the time.

Therefore, the MK1 Octy vRS still needs some beating at around £1000 (at which there seem to be plenty with history and similar or lower mileages to Superbs). What say you?

I drive minimum twice a year across Europe 1k miles one way with my octavia vrs and I think I am getting old or vrs is not very good for long trips. I feel pain in my back even 2 days after the jurney ☺

I think for such a long trips superb or passat is way more comfortable.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk