DIY space saver spare wheel assembly.

EZ_lo

It is EU Type Approval so if illegal in the UK it will be illegal in the EU if not done.

Is the Space Saver wheel not Type Approved for VW Group vehicles by Construction Type Approval of the rim, and a legal tyre for using as a temporary measure at a reduced speed?

Hi there!

Actually I am not aware of specific regulations concerning the use of space saver wheel (in EU nor UK). The wheel I have comes from some other VAG car, so it probably had some approvals. Don't know.

But this is not exactly the point of my post ...

The point is that you can quite easily (and cheaply) "manufacture" DIY underfloor storage for wheel and other rubbish in case you only have the repair kit.

The actual wheel size does not matter - just a couple of dimensions would need to be adjusted if you want to use Skoda spare wheel or even regular size wheel.

I still hope it will be useful for someone  :)

• Like 2

Please note that the use of that narrow wheel and tyre combination would be illegal in the UK, since it has not been Type Approved for use on the Yeti.

Thats interesting as Space Saver wheels are used on a lot of VAG cars including  my last Audi A4 Avant which is a bigger and heavier car than a Yeti. Does that mean that ANY wheel / tyre size that was not fitted as standard by the manufacturer is illegal? I am thinking of people who have changed their wheels to wider ones and fitted larger / lower profile tyres for example.

Surely as a space saver wheel is only a temporary fit to get you to a garage, this would not need any Type Approval as speed is also reduced.

Just wondering if your comment is based on fact or speculation but no offense intended - just interested.

I am guessing Llanigraham is probably right.

Every single part of a car needs some sort of a approval. Including wheels (even temporary use). Otherwise you wuold want to use a wooden one for example :)

So - most probably every tyre/rim combination not listed by manufacturer is not approved. Now - it can be illegal or only ruin your chance to get insurance money in case sth happens ...

Bottom line is: you use space saver wheel - you do it at your own risk.

Technically it should work perfectly (proper rim, proper tyre).

• Like 1

This warning (below) from the manual relating to the spare wheel is interesting, even saying it's OK to drive using a spare with the tyre mounted with the wrong direction of travel.
It's common sense really, if a non standard tyre size is fitted it's only to be used at reduced speed (probably a max of 80kph / 50mph) to get to somewhere the damaged tyre can be repaired or replaced.I think for an insurance company not to pay out they would have to prove the tyre and wheel fitted was below the speed / weight capacity for what it was being used for or was being driven without due care for said tyre or road conditions.

From the Manual

""WARNING
■ If you have to fit the spare tyre with a non-specified direction or an opposite direction of rotation due to a puncture, then drive carefully. The best properties of the tyre are no longer present in this situation.
■ If the dimensions or design of the spare wheel differ from the tyres fitted to the vehicle (e.g. winter tyres or low-profile tyres), it must only be used briefly in the event of a puncture and if an appropriately cautious style of driving is adopted.
■ If the dimensions or design of the temporary spare wheel differ from the fitted tyres, never drive faster than 80 km/h (or 50 mph).
■ Never use the temporary spare wheel if it is damaged.""

Thank you, lads!

There is a lot of space for improvements though.

E.g. I wanted to use those threaded bolts sticking out of the floor to secure the assembly. But they seem to have non-standard thread (meant for plastic nuts).

• Like 1

Thank you, lads!

There is a lot of space for improvements though.

E.g. I wanted to use those threaded bolts sticking out of the floor to secure the assembly. But they seem to have non-standard thread (meant for plastic nuts).

What size nuts did you try on them?

Actually, M6 I believe ... Or was it M5?

Somehow I came to the conclusion that it just does not look like the regular thread :D Will not bet on it ...

I should have done more thorough testing.

• 2 years later...
On 02/08/2016 at 21:36, EZ_lo said:
Hi there guys!
Long time no see ...

Just wanted to share my idea for having a spare wheel in the boot (space-saver) while at the same time significantly saving space compared to the original Skoda solution.
As a bonus: it is probably cheaper (cost me ~40-50 Euros).

My Yeti came with no spare wheel option which was ok for me since I needed space for carrying baby prams and such. But at the same time I wanted to have a spare when I need it so I went for a space-saver wheel (125/90 R16 size; bought used) and carried it in upright position.
Now, when the need for every cubic inch of space is no longer there, I wanted to civilise things a little.
So I measured how tall the storage box aroung the wheel (lying where all well-mannered spares should be) needs to be for the floor to equal the wheel level. In my case it was ~87 mm (wheel dished side up), 125 mm (dished side down). Probably, due to the shape of steel floor under the wheel (mounting point off centre), 125/80 R17 would be even lower (~5 mm).
Then there are two ways of filling the space around the wheel: using the original storage boxes and trimming their height (expensive) or building your own using for example plywood (much cheaper). I chose route #2.

What you will need:
- plywood for the storage compartment (in my case 18mm thick, 87 mm wide; the DIY retailer price included cutting it into pieces as required)
- wood screws (~50 mm long, 20 pieces; ~30 mm long, 8 pieces)
- plywood 4 mm thick (to strenghten the floor) + couple of wooden leftovers (in my case 10x10 mm)
- solution for mounting the wheel (in my case: M10 threaded rod cut to size, M10 rectangular channel nut, M10 wing nut, M10 washer (large), rubber washers and something that seems to be table leg corner bracket)
- boot liner (I bought it from roll from carpet retailer)
- rubber liner (likewise)

drawing

First I just screwed the plywood parts together - pretty straightforward.

Then I cut the rubber liner to fit under the box and under the wheel (secures the floor from scratches).
Step 3 was to cut the plywood floor that will sit on top of the box and wheel along with the carpet.
And lastly, screw the wheel in place.

Notes:
No irreversible changes done to car.
Original trunk liner and round styrofoam insert remain intact (but need to be stored somewhere).
The floor went only ~9 cm up.
You are still able to use regular nets.
Yes I know my space saver is smaller diameter than the original 195/60 R16. But it is only 5mm radius difference. Can live with that when in emergency.
The wheel fixing point is roughly 5 cm to the left from the car axis (is not in the middle hence the difference between left and right storage compartments).

Since it is summer holidays maybe someone finds it useful.

Great Idea.

• 1 month later...

Just did this project on our Yeti. Very simple and easy.

I used 2 CLS Timber (T)38mm (W)89mm (L)2400mm planks from B&Q.

89mm is just a tad taller than the tyre in its recess so lay a towel on top of it. Job done. Minimal cutting and the wood is thicker so needed less of the extra bracing bits.

6mm mdf on top.

Thanks for the guide! 

Total cost of materials - £16.

55 minutes ago, Shaunieboy said:

Wheel still needs fastening down... solid as a rock though!

20190130_181141.jpg

If that is one of those slly ultra-narrow spare wheels/tyres then it is not Type Approved for use on a Yeti.
You are advised NOT to use it.

11 hours ago, Shaunieboy said:

125 70 18

Then that wheel and tyre is NOT designed to be used on a Yeti, is not Type Approved to be used on a Yeti, and therefore is illegal and potentially dangerous.
Do NOT use it!!
Buy and fit the proper approved and legal sized wheel and tyre.

And to be perfectly honest I would not want that amount of wood unsecured in the back of my car.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Llanigraham said:

Then that wheel and tyre is NOT designed to be used on a Yeti, is not Type Approved to be used on a Yeti, and therefore is illegal and potentially dangerous.
Do NOT use it!!
Buy and fit the proper approved and legal sized wheel and tyre.

And to be perfectly honest I would not want that amount of wood unsecured in the back of my car.

Jesus wept mate.... are you alright? Go for a run or something.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

5 minutes ago, Shaunieboy said:

Jesus wept mate.... are you alright? Go for a run or something.

That is the sort of answer I would expect from someone who will not take sound safety advice, no respect.
I do hope you do not have an accident which you are more likely to with that wheel but your chance of a payout from insurance will be seriously in danger.