ASV Timing Belt tool kits..

So I've decided to change the timing belt myself on my 2004 Octavia

I've google the **** out of it and done the searches on here and it is to my understanding that the procedure is exactly the same on the 1.9 ALH and ASV engines

I'm looking to buy the locking kit online but the kits that are available for the ALH and a load of other 1.9 TDI engines don't list the ASV as in the compatible with list. The kits that do list the ASV are £100+

Whilst I'm here.. The engine is on 140,000 miles, is there anything else worth doing whilst it's in bits apart from the water pump?

Thanks, Jake

Alternator decoupler pulley (if it has one) and probably a new crank pulley (which gates recommend is changed at 120k km) would be advisable. After that, maybe worth considering a new crank seal/cam seal too if you wanted to go the full hog on it.

belt.pdf

• Like 3

The timing tool kit is only a pin for the diesel pump and a locking plate for the camshaft. It's this plate that changes I have both varieties in my tool box but I don't think either are that expensive. I'd bet I can accurately assume which one it is.