Must Beat Scobby Help!

robvrs

One of you lot must be able to Help!

Can anyone recommend a Mod path to upgrade to beat a mates Scubby, standard Scubby but still a bit to quick for my Standard VRS, I was going to do the following, Jabba mapp, new Baily DV, Filter, not sure on Exhaust yet, black alloys 18in Need better traction, please note this is a longer term project so the remapp was first of the jobs, is the remapp alone enough to get to terms with the Scubby????

Many thanks for the Tips so Far, look forward to seeing some of you on the 23rd Nov Duxford...

Depends how and where you want to beat him.

Standing start - no chance. The traction of the Scoob's AWD will leave most FWD cars for dead.

Twisty bits (dry) - close call there. After the vRS has a bit of extra power it may keep up on the straights but will lose in traction (again) coming out of corners. I'm not sure if the grip of the Tavia would get you into the corner quickly enough to negate the traction issue.

Twisty bits (wet) - No chance

Overtaking and acceleration - here's where we have a chance. The AWD losses of the Scoob mean that the power to the wheels once moving is less than an equally powered Tavia (220bhp+). Skoda wins at last :D

Braking - Scoob has 4 pot brakes up front so should win.

Build quality and comfort - Tavia p!sses all over the Impreza :D

I'm qualified to answer this post too, see my signature ;)

Steve

PS Just re-read your post. Get more power and brakes. Jabba and a good 4 pot front brake set up should do the triack :D

Apart from those who have posted here who I agree with, contact TaviaRS, his Rs seems to beat a lot of Scoobs on the Track & he has tried loads of mods & is well worth talking to

Once youve had it Jabbad the difference will be amazing. If hes only a bit quicker than you now that should get you most of the way & either his Scoob is slow or hes not getting the best out of it

Then its Brakes & possibly suspension

Alternativly do what I did & buy an Octy 4x4 & mod that

Adding to Geoffs thread, having had a scoob you will also pass him when the Engine blows up !!!!

I think most of it depends on how much balls you have as a driver. If you put one of those numpties from Britain's Worst Driver in an Enzo, and gave me a vRS, I've no doubt I'd beat 'em round a track.

Assuming equivalent driver skill and nerve, I think you're going to find it hard to modify a vRS enough to beat a Scooby.

Through the faster corners you will have a fighting chance. Strangely enough, you will stand more chance in the wet :D

Get it past 100 and you'll have even more of a chance (Skoda RS cD is 0.28 and a Scoob is barn door :D )

Don't forget you have less than 10% transmission loss, they have 25% or more.

I dispute the braking thing as well, put group Ns on and you will defeat a scoob with AP 4 pots

If it's a standard Scoob, a simple remap will get it past on the straights. Then get yourself stiffer suspension and better brakes and your RS will be an all-round standard Scoob beater. The trouble is, there aren't many standard Scoobies around... So if your mate's one, you're lucky! :D

On a 4x4 more work would be required, as it isn't a sporty car from the off. If you spend more cash it would become the better option in the end, as the transmission losses on a part-time auto-engaging Haldex clutch are much less than on the full-time AWD viscous coupling on the Subaru. It's also less weighty than the visco clutch. So you have better traction off the line (the only disadvantage remaining for the RS) and no significant power losses in mid-acceleration...

Originally posted by Real Skoda in this post

Through the faster corners you will have a fighting chance. Strangely enough, you will stand more chance in the wet :D

Don't agree

Get it past 100 and you'll have even more of a chance (Skoda RS cD is 0.28 and a Scoob is barn door :D )

Agree as wind resistnace is a square of the speed.

Don't forget you have less than 10% transmission loss, they have 25% or more.

Agree

I dispute the braking thing as well, put group Ns on and you will defeat a scoob with AP 4 pots

Very much doubt it on the first stop. On the second stop the APs repeatability will start to show and by the time you are at the 5th or 6th stop, the Scoob with APs would still be stopping on a dime. If the Scoob had normal 4 pots, the Skoda may have a chance with the Group N set up.

Steve

I'm with Real on this one.

At Donington (full circuit), in the wet, I was lagging behind coming out of Melbourne and round the hairpin on to the start/finish straight. By the time we got through Craners, I was back up with them. Old hairpin exit was also a bit dicey traction wise in the wet.

I would mention the Ring, I have lots of wet laps on tape and scoobs aren't as predictable in the wet especially with the faster more sweeping bends. That wouldn't be fair though, as a lot of it is down to driver knowledge.

Unlike some of the Scoobs at SIDC National Day last year, I had no brake fade (funny watching someone with AP 6 Pots experience fade :D ). From road use, I've found that classics are easier to outbrake than the bugeye and the blobeye (if all of them have APs). Quite happy to prove this, if anyone with a scoob and 4 pots is up for a bit of experimentation.

Thanks all for your comments so far -

Sounds like its possible, not off the line, on fast straights I should hold my own or start to pull away, the bit I don't like the sound of to much is making the most of the wet where it sounds I have the best advantage, brave yes I would say I am, the speeds of Cars to be honest are slow, yes the VRS is slow but then I come from a RSV twin 1000cc with 2 wheel background, and have an ACU ticket, I am used to oblitarating STI Scoobys, on to 60 in 3sec's 0 -100 then 100-0 in 9.5 secs top speed on 177, 1/4 in 10.5 sec, I guess this why I am finding it differcult to accept that a standard Scooby is so much of a challenge now, yes I know you cannot compare the 2, but Jabbasport here I come !

I'll save the wet weather info for the track, I am interest to see how I compare at Snett in the VRS against the RSV, 1.18sec's on the RSV anyone got a time in an VRS @ Snett ?