Fan Stays on and drains battery when car is stopped.

Hi folks. I'm looking for some advice regarding the radiator fan staying on when the engine is off.

I bought a VW Golf Mk6 TDI, which I understand has the same engine as the Octavia, so I'm hoping you guys might be able to help.

I bought the car used last year and it's a '61 plate. After about a year of driving with no problems, I noticed the radiator fan was still running after I stopped the engine. It kept running for a few hours, eventually draining the battery completely. The AA came out, recharged the battery and ran a diagnostic using Bosch software. The car reported no errors and the problem seemed to have disappeared.

It came back again after a few weeks so I eventually took the car back to Arnold Clark for a service. They again could not identify any problems and charged me over the odds to charge my battery. The guy at Arnold Clark said that he heard from a mate that this might be related to the car being stuck in an active regen due to the DPF and to try driving at high revs on the motorway for a while to see if this resolves the problem.

The next time it happened, I tried it out and drove in 4th gear for about 20 minutes at 70mph. When I stopped the car, the fan had stopped right enough.

The only problem is that this has been happening a lot more often and my fuel consumption is understandably going through the roof. The DPF warning light has never came on once despite this problem. I spoke to a guy in Halfords who recommended I create a post in this forum to see if anyone has had a similar problem. It's getting to be a pain and I don't always have the opportunity to take the car to the motorway to try and resolve this, especially when just arriving at work in the morning. Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Nephew had this problem on his '59 plate Fiesta (quite a common fault on them apparently), and it is the fan relay that sticks. Had to get one from the main dealer for around £20 but that cured the problem on his....could be your problem, perhaps ??

The mileage of the car is approaching 63000. The usual commute to work is a 15 mile motorway trip with the occasional bit of town driving. Reading up on DPF's, this should be the style of driving that encourages passive regen rather than active regen ls being required. I spoke to a mechanic friend as well who reckons that it's not related to the DPF since there's no dashboard warning light showing about this. I'll speak to someone about the fan relay Philip and fingers crossed that's what it might be. Thanks for your help guys. Any other information or advice would be much appreciated.

• 3 years later...

I've the same problem on a 2016 superb 2.0 tdi. I Have had fans replaced and relay replaced but its still happening. 92k on mine. I dont believe its the dpf as the fans usually stay on when the car is turned off for that but mines can come on 10 mins after I've locked and walked away from the car. Yesterday they were on for 2 hours and drained the battery.