Annoying SatNav!

Hi,

After 8 months into my L&K Superb 3 I can truly say I love the car. Effortless to drive with plenty of really nice little touches and features to make it ever so easy to live with and enjoy...

Except the SatNav which is beginning to get on my wick big time! I'm sure my old TomTom was a much better system and was easier to use, and made a much better/intelligent choice of routes.

On more than one occasion now (most recently last week on a holiday in Pembrokeshire) it seems to delight in taking you down single track lanes, with and without! passing places. In the setup menu there are checkboxes for avoiding Motorways and Toll roads which is fine. But you really should be able to tell it to stick to 'B' roads and above.

Also with the old TomTom you could persuade it onto a particular route by adding various vias. I have not found an easy way to do this on the Columbus yet.

As I said earlier, apart from the SatNav, I love the car so this is a bit disappointing.

You don't have to follow it turn for turn if you don't want to, take a look at the overall route map and if you think you prefer a different route ignore the sat nav for a bit. It will re-route you and maybe you'll be happier going a different way. Like all software, it can take a bit of getting used to, how often do you use it?.

Waze or Google Map and ~4.5-6" Phone

@MartiniB: you need to spec the SmartGate option in order to "mirror" the Phone and Waze/Google Map on the Bolero unit, correct ? Is there any other option needed for this ?

Thanks

@Norian

no, use Waze/GogleMap directly on your Phone

forget about builtin system cause,

1. car's USB sockets can't feed enough power for now days phones with 2A

2. MirrorLink & AndroidAuto doesn't currently support Waze

3. Google Map trough AndroidAuto gives minor options to change, even level of voice can't be changed

SmartGate is another story, it doesn't provide GPS data, oil temperature etc. can't help for navigation.

@MartiniB:

Thanks for your reply.

I'm just trying to clear all this SmartGate and SmartLink jungle...

I understood that if I use my Phone on Waze/GoogleMap, I can "replicate" my Phone screen on the car's Bolero System. This requires SmartLink, right ? 

SmartGate is another option, it is an "app" for the Phone and shows different driving parametrs, driving style, GMeter and such. Is this correct ? 

I understood that if I use my Phone on Waze/GoogleMap,

I can "replicate" my Phone screen on the car's Bolero System. This requires SmartLink, right?

by advertisements i thought same, but not :(

application must be developed additionally for MirrorLink/AndroidAuto

most important for me not ready yet and by compare Google Map functionality on the Phone

vs what i see on Columbus screen trough AndroidAuto i can say "i don't need apps with 1/4 functionality"

SmartGate is another option, it is an "app" for the Phone and shows different driving parametrs,

driving style, GMeter and such. Is this correct ?

yes
  • Like 1

MirrorLink not really that useful as it turns the screen off when the car is in motion. Apparently you can tweak this by recoding.

Carplay and Android Auto leave the screen on while in motion, but only works for a limited number of apps, maps and music mostly.

Waze is not currently supported on AA, but it is coming soon.

Hi,

After 8 months into my L&K Superb 3 I can truly say I love the car. Effortless to drive with plenty of really nice little touches and features to make it ever so easy to live with and enjoy...

Except the SatNav which is beginning to get on my wick big time! I'm sure my old TomTom was a much better system and was easier to use, and made a much better/intelligent choice of routes.

On more than one occasion now (most recently last week on a holiday in Pembrokeshire) it seems to delight in taking you down single track lanes, with and without! passing places. In the setup menu there are checkboxes for avoiding Motorways and Toll roads which is fine. But you really should be able to tell it to stick to 'B' roads and above.

Also with the old TomTom you could persuade it onto a particular route by adding various vias. I have not found an easy way to do this on the Columbus yet.

As I said earlier, apart from the SatNav, I love the car so this is a bit disappointing.

I discovered the hard way never to select the option of the 'shortest' route because it always cuts corners by using any old byeway or b road including ridiculous routes through woodland with terrible surfaces. I always go for 'fastest'.