Potentially uninsured vehicle

gac

If you check the DVLA for Vehicle details does it show as having VED.

VED was up to date, yeah.

There was maybe 3rd party cover on the vehicle if it was still registered with a Registered Keeper that did have insurance running

If that were the case, it should have been on the MID, no? The MID checks the car, not the driver, so if SOMEONE still had a policy with that car on it, it would have shown that the car was insured even if that particular driver was not.

The Police officer should know for sure there is no cover, but sometimes they miss that the car is 'Intrade' and a Motor Trader has Trade Cover.

The Police officer should have checked easily if it showed as having valid VED at the scene of the accident.

They checked at the scene and it had no cover. Which they verified with the insurance company directly, using the details he gave, which has resulted in finding out about this "future" policy. Edited by gac

Just a simple question. Does the car he was driving show as having VED (TAXED). Or on a sorn? If not that will be the DVLA also sending out a penalty to the registered keeper

I already said a couple of posts above, yes, the VED was showing as current when I checked it (i.e. it had tax, it was not SORN, and not expired). And yes, I'm sure the registered keeper will be getting a penalty for not having cover (or at least they should do), as well as the driver being penalised for actually driving it without cover.

It's unlikely you will get anything from MIB as you have comp insurance (See my post above).

You can always sue the uninsured party for losses in the civil courts and get a CCJ against them for the money.

Then just sell it to a debt management company if he doesn't pay up.

I missed your post above, that's pretty annoying given that my understanding was that some of my comprehensive premium has contributed to this fund...thanks for the advice, I will certainly be pushing whoever I can to make the claim against the MIB, but I guess I won't hold my breath. How would I even go about sueing, given that I don't actually have his address - I guess I would have to get that from the police?

• Like 1

It's unlikely you will get anything from MIB as you have comp insurance (See my post above).

You can always sue the uninsured party for losses in the civil courts and get a CCJ against them for the money.

Then just sell it to a debt management company if he doesn't pay up.

Hopefully Gac has legal cover which should sort this civil claim out.

I do have legal cover as part of the policy (i.e. BTE according to the description above) which I could use if appropriate - I've just got back from work so am about to sort some pictures out and write a description etc to send to the insurers then I'll see what they have to say about the further options.

Well, I did all that above and have spoken to them briefly today. Still need to get a quote for the repair, although I think it'll be prohibitively expensive for me to pay out of pocket (it's a Civic Type R, I had a look on a Honda parts website and racked up £1200 just in unpainted parts to repair the visible damage, without including the labour, the paintwork, and anything I can't see).

I asked about the MIB, and they said that's only there to cover people who were hit by uninsured drivers and suffered personal injury, it won't cover repairs. So that's a bust, although they did say that they may be able to chase the third party directly. Need to get down and start putting a quote together to see exactly how much the repair would cost from an actual bodyshop.

Maybe you are not interested, but have you used the DVLA to find out who the Registered Keeper was at the time of the accident, 

or do you know that was the Driver?

They are the person i would be suing for any losses incurred beyond those you are insured for, or losses paying the excess.

(often like getting blood out of a stone, but then a court can award you money and bailiffs can collect.

sadly not so easily in Scotland though.)

Edited by Offski

My insurers have said that's an option, as a separate thing from repairing my car. I actually wasn't aware that the general public could find out the registered keeper (I've never needed to think about doing it before) - I don't know who the registered keeper is but might chuck in the £2.50 to find out. I was assuming that it's not the driver, based on the fact he gave "it's a new policy" as an excuse for his insurance not being on the MID but the tax left on the car was some impossible to buy period like 7 months, suggesting it probably hasn't changed hands recently as the tax would have been cancelled and the new keeper would have only been able to buy 1/6/12 months. But then, it also turned out that he had no valid insurance at all anyway, so the new policy thing was nonsense - who knows. They did say that the uninsured party can also claim against me, which is kind of frustrating.

Maybe there is no owner and the last registered keeper is no longer the keeper, but they are still responsible to have 3rd party insurance on any vehicle on the road.

Even if Group Insurance or Trade Cover and they were a Car Dealer / Trader.

So if they sold the car the VED then was not valid. 

But if it is only costing £2.50 you are as well to find out who the Registered Keeper was because basically unless they made sure they were no longer the Registered Keeper 

they are responsible for the vehicle on the public highway.

The Police know who the driver was, but thats between them and any prosecution.

The VED & the Registered keeper and anyone driving outwith their licence is the responsibility of the DVLA.

If you pay the money to DVLA for the owner details can you specify the date that you want e.g. the accident date or will they just give you the owner details on the date that you apply? If those details also include the last change of ownership date then it may indicate that the car was recently sold but not the legal owner at the time of the accident.