Bolero upgrade in 2010 mk2

Hi All,

New here and just bought my first Octavia, 2010 VRS MK2.

Am totally pleased with the car, but it has a Bolero head unit fitted. Although this unit looks great, I really need bluetooth hands free function and built in satnav, DAB would be a bonus!!

I don't want to go down the aftermarket route, have looked at Amundsen + and Columbus units, but am baffled by other posts and eBay adverts.

I guess swapping for another Oem unit I'll maintain steering controls etc. I understand I'll need to add a gps antenna and also a microphone.

Could anyone summarise and help please.

Many thanks

Dan

Two options (more or less). As you know, you have the Amundsen Plus or the Columbus.

Amundsen Plus. Can be had as a basic head unit with no Bluetooth, am/fm radio, no DAB. Not much use. Can also be had as am/fm/DAB, no Bluetooth. Possibly useful. Can also be had as am/fm, no DAB, with Bluetooth. Possibly useful. Can also be had as am/fm/DAB, and with Bluetooth. You'll just need a microphone.

Then there's the Columbus. Doesn't come with Bluetooth, but can be had with or without DAB.

If you go for either a Columbus or an Amundsen Plus without Bluetooth, you can add  a separate Bluetooth module to the car.

If you budget £120 or so for a Bluetooth kit, then you can have your choice of head units with or without DAB, and that'd be the better option personally as you can then go for the Columbus DAB and get a much better unit. The Amundsen Plus is limited by the smaller screen, lack of a dvd drive, and lack of a hard drive for music storage.

Columbus DAB can be had for less than £400 if you look in the link in my signature.

Edited by Rustynuts
  • Like 1

Thanks for such a comprehensive reply, realistically I think an Amundsen + with dab and Bluetooth would suffice. Other than a mic and gps antenna is this plug and play? I can't find a link on your signature as I'm on a phone. Comparatively what costs would be involved in each option. Thanks

I'm unsure what costs would be for the Amundsen Plus. It could be as cheap as £200 for someone who doesn't know what they're selling to way over £400. Then again, you have to be sure that the unit you buy does indeed have Bluetooth and DAB. The last time I looked the cheapest on Ebay was about £370 with DAB & Bluetooth. Then you'd need a gps antenna, a microphone, and if you're getting a DAB unit then you'd also need a DAB antenna. There are cheaper DAB antennas and more expensive ones, you get what you pay for really as the cheap stick on the windscreen ones are only adequate really.

This is the link I was pointing you to. http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/405527-columbus-rns510-repairs/