Tachometer needle stuck beyond maximum (out of range)

Hi guys, this is my first post here.
I've been looking on google and some other forums, trying to find a solution for this problem. I have a Skoda Octavia Elegance from 2002 with the 2.0 litre petrol engine. It has done 190.000 km. So far it behaves nicely except for one thing. I started driving it recently (for about a month, since I got my drivers licence). The tachometer needle is stuck beyond the maximum RPM (read line) and just hangs there, there is no motion, sometimes very rarely it moves a little, but nothing useful. I has been like this for maybe a year, but my sister didn't bother with it. Since I'm a starter, I would like to read my RPM, also It goes on my nerves when I look at it, just hanging there. If anyone knows something, pls help.

Also, I have one more question. I'm not sure if this is normal behavior. A few days ago, I was driving on a highway, doing maybe 120km/h, and I noticed that hot air is coming through the vents even with the heating and blower turned off. It isn't a strong wind, but you can feel the car getting hot inside, as the pretty warm air comes from all the vents on the dashboard. This also happens when driving slower, but it is really noticeable one you get to higher speed.

Tacho - No idea, sorry.

Since you have an Elegance, you have Climatronic climate control system, and not a plain heater. When you look at the control panel, you should see 2 temperatures, in opposite bottom corners. The left hand one should show the outside temperature, and the right hand the demand cabin temperature (or possibly just "LO" or "HI"). If the demand temperature is above the outside or HI then the system will supply hot air at least sometimes to try and attain your demand temperature.

When the cabin fan is off, but the system isn't (any time the display shows values) you'll get ram air ventilation which is speed dependant, unless you've selected "Recirc"(ulation) mode.

Having said all that, it's still possible that you have a stuck control flap in the air mixer box. Try randomly pressing all the buttons on the control panel for about 10 minutes.

When the cabin fan is off, but the system isn't (any time the display shows values) you'll get ram air ventilation which is speed dependant, unless you've selected "Recirc"(ulation) mode.

Well, it makes sense, but when I drive, the climate unit is off completely (it says "OFF") on the screen, and there is still a breeze of hot air coming through the vents. Maybe the control flap is stuck, but again, the unit works perfectly, supplying hot air, A/C works too. Only thing I've never tried is "Recirc" mode. Maybe the flap will get unstuck. I mean this isn't a big issue (as I can just close the vents and it's fixed), but I found it strange. Thanks for the info! Hopefully some can help with the Tacho too, It is higher on my priority list :D

Edited by zejdkoco1

Well, it makes sense, but when I drive, the climate unit is off completely (it says "OFF") on the screen, and there is still a breeze of hot air coming through the vents. Maybe the control flap is stuck, but again, the unit works perfectly, supplying hot air, A/C works too. Only thing I've never tried is "Recirc" mode. Maybe the flap will get unstuck. I mean this isn't a big issue (as I can just close the vents and it's fixed), but I found it strange. Thanks for the info! Hopefully some can help with the Tacho too, It is higher on my priority list :D

When my Climatronic (rather than just the cabin fan) is OFF, there are no values shown on the control panel, not even an "Off".

@zejdkoco1 Regarding RPM needle, well you could try taking out the cluster, disassemble it and try the needle for moving. May be the electromagnetic motor has died.

Usput, ako si blizu Sarajeva mogu ti rado pomoci ;) Samo se javi u PP...

Edited by Arminator

So the tachometer was stuck beyond the maximum range, and now I know why. I opened the instrument case, returned the needle back, and when I turned on my car this happened:

So the motor is really faulty? How hard and/or expensive could the repair be?

• 8 months later...