Nordic Tyres (official source of Nokian in the UK)

okenobi

Given the recent discussion in here about bad WR D4s and my previous great experiences with Nokian tyres, I decided to dig a little. Also, it's that time of year, and I will shortly be returning to the alps, so wanted something decent on my new vRS.

I have discovered that the only official, authorised distributor of Nokian in the UK is Nordic Tyres  Their website is awful (particularly on a phone), but the service and knowledge on display is easily the best I've experienced when buying tyres EVER. Spoke to Gordon on 01576 203020. Incredibly knowledgeable bloke and actually prefers to have you buy tyres from one of his certified dealers around the country who know what they're doing.

However, I live in Cornwall, miles from anywhere, so people who have a clue are rare. Anyway, he has shipped me 3x A3s for £84 a corner NEXT FREAKING DAY. None of this random-warehouse-in-Poland nonsense. I could have had D4s for £95, but opted to save some money as my shopping list for this car is already at £408 and counting. In official mk1 vRS size and speed rating, that's a better price than Camskill and/or any of the usual suspects - I checked.

If you're thinking about Weatherproofs (as I imagine a lot of you are), or you need something more wintery like I do - call the guy.

I was genuinely surprised to receive such great service and knowledgeable chat in this day and age.

Hope this helps some of you. 

• Like 1

Gordon at Nordic Tyres gets my vote too. Just ordered 4 x Nokian winters from him. They will fit them at no extra charge !

His price was very, very good to say the least.

For me it's a good drive down to Lockebie and a pub lunch.

I'd agree. As mine were 4 of the first 8 to arrive in the UK last November with no others arriving before Christmas 2015 I happily paid to secure them as soon as they arrived in the UK. I booked in for the next time I was heading down the motorway and I was on my way again within the hour.

My 200 mile journey South involved some nasty wet November conditions and I was pleased to have changed over from the worn out tyres I had left there on my other wheels. Gordon even gave me a quick look around the warehouse where there were some big big tyres too.

I was reassured that they'd stand behind their warranty if the need arose, and without me having to fight like I did with mytyres and pneus (who just said "non").

At least the credit I got on my Coopers from mytyres almost (99%) covered the cost of my Nokians, so I got a better product after "free" use of the Coopers.

Sort of fell on my feet there...;-)

I had my Weatherproofs fitted in August last year! I'd seen the Nordic tyres site but there was no on-line ordering option at the time (that I could find) so bought from Pneus-online. I think they'd only just been added to the catalogue as I couldn't find any reviews other than Nokian's own. Having had WR A3s before I was quite confident to give them a go. Back then they were just £95/corner delivered (though not next day unfortunately) but now they are over £20 more!

Hopefully I won't need replacements for a couple of years, but I'll keep Nordic tyres in mind.

Think that'll be to do with exchange rates. Mine are 235/55 18 and the price remained static throughout last winter, as I was singing the tyre's praises based on my experience on another forum where there are a few cars like mine.

i bought these wr d4 tyres for the grip but important info for buyers of nokian weather proof tyres , after only 10 months and with three quarters of the tread left ,they are delaminating terribly inside and outside edges and look unsafe ...in 40 years of buying tyres I have not seen anything like that ...be careful 

2 different products.  It's not recommended to run winter tyres like Nokian WR D4s through the summer (I assume that was part of your 10 months), whereas the Weatherproofs have far more heat tolerance.  Their slightly harder compound is designed for running all year.  It's possible that the Korean winter tyres I put on my poverty spec Fabia were abused over successive summers.  Despite having no grunt it can still experience some lateral g so I'm not complaining that the purposely inexpensive tyres are shot - I wanted to run some wheels on it that the insurers would penalise my soon-to-be learner driver son for.

Your supplier might be able to help but you'll have to persevere if they're not based in the UK.

i bought these wr d4 tyres for the grip but important info for buyers of nokian weather proof tyres , after only 10 months and with three quarters of the tread left ,they are delaminating terribly inside and outside edges and look unsafe ...in 40 years of buying tyres I have not seen anything like that ...be careful

Is that the WR D4 or the weatherproof?

I ask, as I've had exactly the same issue with the D4 and am currently waiting to hear back on warranty.

Assuming that is the case (I have a thread on here), then I'd be interesting to hear what car it's on, what engine and if it's the front only or all 4 tyres.

Also are yours made in Finland or Russia?

Edited by cheezemonkhai