Possible software update available

Didn't check Update Portal for some time now but I took a look today. Something is different there. Usually I only get map updates and for "Other software" I usually get "There is no update for other software at this moment" or something similar, can't really remember. Today, when I checked I got "Your navigation system can be updated only from DVD. Please visit your dealer." Anybody else noticed this? I have Amudsen unit...

Same for the MIB2 Columbus. I spoke to my dealer's service department but the technician was unaware of any software update DVD for the MIB2 but it may be early days. He was under the impression that any MIB2 software/firmware updates would more likely be done by plugging into the diagnostic/update rig than by DVD.

I was hoping it might be an update to bring the MY16 MIB2 units up to date with some of the new functions incorporated into the MY17 MIB2, like the user profiles, though to be honest these are "nice to have" rather than "must have".

It would be interesting to hear if anyone with a MY16 Superb that is due an upcoming service actually has any updates made to their MIB2 unit. Mine was serviced last month but there was no MIB2 update.

A colleague of mine told me they won't do software updates on regular checkups unless you ask them. The reason being updates take couple of hours to install. I mean all firmware updates on all systems. If you want that, you need to arrange it upfront. Wonder if MIB updates are different. I'm also due for regular servicing in about 2k kilometers and will see what they say.

My dealer always checks for any updates/bulletins etc and does them as part of any visit/service. However, that doesn't normally include the nav updates.

So I guess it will depend on what the DVD thing is all about. For me it would be great if it does include a nav update. If I were to try doing the on line update I would probably be waiting for a week or more for it to finish downloading. Three cheers for rural broadband  :swear:

Looking forward to hearing more about this.

• Like 1

It should be routine at any service for the updates to be loaded on! BMW do it, and so should škoda. If it isn't being done then (to me) that is poor customer service.

Yep, that's how BMW do it. Unfortunately BMW and skoda are completely different vehicles using completely different components and use completely different diagnostic technology.

BMW diagnostic equipment reads and updates the control modules on every car whenever they're plugged in to, Skoda's system does not, Skoda's system also doesn't have the ability to carry out that function automatically and requires each module to be selected manually then it's checked for an update. Each module can take half an hour to read and update, the new superb has circa 100 updatable modules, the time figures to carry out said task mean it's obviously not feasible to do within a standard hour long service.

If you do wish to take advantage of that kind of feature within the VW group I believe that Audi (who are almost on par with BMW price wise) have that system built in to their equipment, but you'll pay probably twice the labour rate of Skoda's and twice (if not) three times the price for the initial purchase.

• Like 1

My dealer always checks for any updates/bulletins etc and does them as part of any visit/service. However, that doesn't normally include the nav updates.

So I guess it will depend on what the DVD thing is all about. For me it would be great if it does include a nav update. If I were to try doing the on line update I would probably be waiting for a week or more for it to finish downloading. Three cheers for rural broadband :swear:

Looking forward to hearing more about this.

Dealers are obliged to check for safety campaigns relating to each vehicle booked in, these require checks with subsequent work. A software update is a common occurrence and every module apart from the nav unit can be updated using diagnostic equipment.

The nav units have their FIRMWARE updated via sd card. The software is downloaded from dvds supplied by skoda on to the sd card.

It can easily take 2 hours to load the data on to the sd card then on to the car.

Thanks for that james. Does that mean I can have my satnav updated during next service visit then? Or if I take an SD card they can download onto that for me to update the car later. As I said, it is just not practicable for me to download the update myself as I have a very 20th century broadband (haha) speed

• 3 weeks later...

Just to inform you I was on my regular maintenance and now on update portal I get "There were no software updates for the VIN."

It seems as if they actually do update something but I can't notice any changes on my Amudsen. I forgot to take screenshot of version information before I left my car at the dealer. Will do that next time. 

When you have downloaded the update onto SD card and put it in the car is there any reason why you cannot drive the car whilst it is updating the software? Obviously I will not be able to use Navigation

When you have downloaded the update onto SD card and put it in the car is there any reason why you cannot drive the car whilst it is updating the software? Obviously I will not be able to use Navigation

As above - and it doesn't need to be done in one session. If you switch off before it's completed then at next startup it will resume updating from the point it had already reached.

The November update is showing as avaliable for my VIN. Does anyone know what MRM means?, I am sure last update was ROW - Rest of World

MRM 2016/2017   For downloading      MRM 2016/2017 (22,00GB)

The November update is showing as avaliable for my VIN. Does anyone know what MRM means?, I am sure last update was ROW - Rest of World

MRM 2016/2017   For downloading      MRM 2016/2017 (22,00GB)

I have no idea what MRM means, but 2016/2017 implies it was a November 2015 update...

November 2015 = 2016/2017

June 2016 = 2017

November 2016 = 2017/2018 (yet to appear)

Didn't check Update Portal for some time now but I took a look today. Something is different there. Usually I only get map updates and for "Other software" I usually get "There is no update for other software at this moment" or something similar, can't really remember. Today, when I checked I got "Your navigation system can be updated only from DVD. Please visit your dealer." Anybody else noticed this? I have Amudsen unit...

Same for the MIB2 Columbus.

Well, it's now gone back to "There were no software updates for the VIN."

I have no idea what MRM means, but 2016/2017 implies it was a November 2015 update...

November 2015 = 2016/2017

June 2016 = 2017

November 2016 = 2017/2018 (yet to appear)

That's very interesting (& confusing :dull: ).

What made me think it was the November update was that at the bottom of page it also says

"Further update of GPS data will be in May"

I assumed this was May 2017, so the above must be the November update, Previously this notice had said "further updates will be in November".