Octavia tdi idle fault

Hi all, I have recently purchased a 2ltr tdi 140 Octavia with 3 month warranty.....on the way home from pick up the engine light came on...handbook says emissions light....a diagnostic check showed something like a return gas fault so I was told a new egr valve was required .... I had that fitted Saturday and sure enough the lights now off... firstly, the mechanic has told me my ecu now needs a few hundred miles to learn the new part and my driving style....never heard of this, is this true?? .... secondly is a fault the car has before and after the new egr..... starting from cold the car is fine ..... as she begins to warm up (from around 60 degrees) the idle goes wrong .... I can only describe it as a kind of fast stop start idle and is present to 1100 revs when accelerator is pressed ....when the car is up to temperature its fine and runs fine when moving from cold ..... now the garage has told me that they spoke to Skoda and claim the car is still in learning mode and the fault should go away .... I just can't see it and feel I'm being taken for a ride somewhere??

Id try running it for a while and also leave it to idle from cold to warm without pressing the accelerator pedal foe ut to adapt. The ecu does re learn new parameters when the battery has been off etc. If it still persists I would take it back to the garage for a second opinion.

Yes, good idea... I will try that thx .... today I noticed that when up to temp, drive and say pull up at lights .... idle would sit at 800rpm ....touch the accelerator and it settles at about 848rpm ..... she drives like a dream... pulls amazingly while returning 60 mpg .... I guess as much as the ecu is learning a new part ..... I'm also learning a new car