Warm roof

seboni121

Im in the process of getting prices for removing my conservatory roof and replacing with a solid "warmroof" system, ive looked into several manufacturers such as guardian,leka , ultraframe and prefix system has anyone here have any input ?,have you had one fitted? What is your thoughts ? How much warmer in winter has the room been or cooler in summer are you happy with the product .

No you can not get a standard roof as a replacement it needs to be specific to/for a retro build roof for a conservatory

If you have the basic structural half wall, you would put a new roof on (Requires planning), put new structural glazing (or supports plus new glazing in) and create a summer room on the slab that was the conservatory.

I'm not suggesting reusing it, more replacing it with what will be a more efficient summer building.

The down side being planning.

If you're using the warm roof conversion, you may still need planning as the temporary building bit is in question.

Also they've not put any new structural beams in to hold the roof up (that I can see) so you'd have to hope it all weighs less than the glass in the roof did (or plastic).

Finally, you'd still have any leak issues or old pane issues on the glazing that was retained.

If it was me, I wouldn't do it (Used to design dbl glazing many years ago), but then I like things done properly.

I also noted the "a rated" comment and the fact that the companies name is "a rated" so I'd be checking any thermal efficiency claims very very closely.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Hi

Guardian did mine early this year.

1. Looks good

2. A lot less heat loss

3. Cooler in summer

4. Quieter

5. Aluminium framework went up first followed by hugh amount of insulation topped off with tile effect that near enough matches the roof of the house.

6. Interior plastering done to a very high standard.

7. It's no longer an occasional use conservatory but has been transformed into an all year garden room.

8. Slightly less natural light level but that's what we wanted as in the summer it was unusable due to the heat even with the roof light open.

It's right up the top of the lit for the best home improvement we have undertaken.

My Grandparents had theirs done but due to the sloping roof it had on before they had to have new windows fitted that were level.

It still gets Hot in the afternoon sun but its not nearly as bad. The taller ceiling also makes the room feel a lot bigger