BKD Whistle

I know this has been covered so many times and I know BKD turbos are made like chocolate, once remapped past 140bhp and tend to mimic the police siren. Which is why I replaced it with a TurboTechnics Hybrid S212 unit.

Before having it mapped it sounded fine, But now it's mapped, I've noticed the whistle has been getting louder lately but at no loss of power. Drives fine and pulls like a train.

I've checked all joins in the intercooler pipe work, checked for any holes/splits in the silicon pipes, made sure the bolts are tight on the EGR blank and manifold (Have also ordered a new set of gaskets for both to be sure)

Wondering if anyone else may have the same turbo unit on theirs and have experienced the same issue? Will report back once I've changed the gaskets over and try to get some footage/sound.

A mapped fabia vrs (pd130) does this and previously owning one everyone asked the same question and the response was 'it's just normal'.

My mates mapped pd130 does this now. Only seems to happen once mapped.

Not much help I know but just to let you know a lot of people have this on their mapped pd's and are not worried about it.

Edited by Kris82

My BKD has been doing this since i had it 90k ago.

ive read the forum and read all the scary stories of it letting go, well i've done 90k in my car and it still sounds the same. the only issue i have is the sticky VNT. so im due to get it replaced with a like for like from darkside for £595 but i have t do the work.

is it worth upgrading? as i want to get my egr deleted from the ECU(physically already gone), the DSG recalibrated and the car boosted to 170bhp

sorry to piggy bag your post but it kinda goes hand in hand with my thoughts.

My BKD has been doing this since i had it 90k ago.

ive read the forum and read all the scary stories of it letting go, well i've done 90k in my car and it still sounds the same. the only issue i have is the sticky VNT. so im due to get it replaced with a like for like from darkside for £595 but i have t do the work.

is it worth upgrading? as i want to get my egr deleted from the ECU(physically already gone), the DSG recalibrated and the car boosted to 170bhp

sorry to piggy bag your post but it kinda goes hand in hand with my thoughts.

No worries for piggy-backing. Which turbo kit are you going for?

I have bit of a thorn in my foot from Darkside, After spending a fair bit of money with them, For them to then say they won't map my Skoda because it's not one of their turbo kits, I found very disappointing.

"We don't map hybrids as they never make the power they say they make" TurboTechnics stated my S212 is good for 230bhp. I've got 231.9bhp from Narco tuning.

Narco also did the EGR software delete so no more annoying warning light. I had removed the EGR ages ago but alas I don't have a DSG.

• Like 1

I have no idea what i shall fit.

TBH i was thinking just a straight swap, but if im going to remap it to 170bhp and thats the upper limit of the standard fit turbo, then i might look at an alternative.

the std turbo is on sale with darkside and has been for a while hence why i thought i would just swap it, then i heard that 170bhp is the upper limit of the std turbo so that got me thinking what alternatives are there and would it be better to fit a slightly higher rated turbo thinking it would also be under less stress @170bhp as it would be well within in its limits(Therefore last longer)  as opposed to being at the top end of its limits with a std turbo.

but i rekon an upgrade will cost a lot more and i might end up having to do extra things like oil cooler, hard pipes etc etc.

Edited by mroberts

I have no idea what i shall fit.

TBH i was thinking just a straight swap, but if im going to remap it to 170bhp and thats the upper limit of the standard fit turbo, then i might look at an alternative.

the std turbo is on sale with darkside and has been for a while hence why i thought i would just swap it, then i heard that 170bhp is the upper limit of the std turbo so that got me thinking what alternatives are there and would it be better to fit a slightly higher rated turbo thinking it would also be under less stress @170bhp as it would be well within in its limits(Therefore last longer)  as opposed to being at the top end of its limits with a std turbo.

but i rekon an upgrade will cost a lot more and i might end up having to do extra things like oil cooler, hard pipes etc etc.

My S212 was about £600, But I was going for power figures. So I have all the hard pipes, FMIC, new oil line etc. But I don't see why you couldn't have the same and have it mapped to around the 190/200 mark, rather than the full 230.

Unfortunately, because it's a hybrid, they do state they don't offer a warranty on it. But knocking on wood it's still going strong (Bar the whistle and I'm paranoid about that so changing gaskets ect)

I had a quote from TT last week for the full hybrid £660 including VAT + £75 surcharge.

sounded pretty reasonable, and the guy answered all my questions regarding how to ensure I can get the old one off after 150K etc etc was very helpful TBH.

I haven't spoken to Darkside yet to get their opinion.

Are there any others?