Ignition switch fault or immobiliser fault

My 07 vrs se is keeping the ignition on with no key in it. When I start it I can remover the key and engine is still running. Only way to stop the engine is to stall it. After I stall it the car it will not restart until I disconnect battery and re connect it. Any one have any idea how to fix it ?

sounds like the switch mechanism is sticky or coking up  however it is a separate part from the lock/immobiliser coil    I recon whist it can be removed on it's own (I think)    it would be better to remove the lot and that will give you chance to check both items individually  N.B.  it's held by shear bolts on the column  

it CAN be done without removing the steering wheel  but it's a fiddle,  by turning the wheel you can remove the end screws the top and flexy piece can be removed,  but to remove the bottom cowl (unless you can find a better way ) is to drill an 1/8" in the flat under surface farthest away from the hole for the column adjuster lever with a junior hacksaw blade cut the front face (behind steering wheel)  down as far as the hole ie around the corner it should then be possible to pull the left and right hand side apart far enough to clear the lugs (ones with internal screws)  this then give access to the shear bolts cut a screwdriver slot or grind flats for small molegrips they arn't tight    

• 4 weeks later...

My 07 vrs se is keeping the ignition on with no key in it. When I start it I can remover the key and engine is still running. Only way to stop the engine is to stall it. After I stall it the car it will not restart until I disconnect battery and re connect it. Any one have any idea how to fix it ?

One month on I assume you must have resolved this one way or another?  I have exactly the same symptoms you describe following a sudden engine death and fuse 14 (ECU power) blown.  With fuse replaced I have the same failure to switch off, plus rough running on tickover.

Best wishes,   Neil

It's was a fault with the fans in the car. There was a small black box that controlled them that got broken so water got in to the plastic case and caused the fault on my car

Thanks for this.  Another post on another forum reported same running on symptoms which traced to a corroded wire caused by a wet boot floor from leaky rear washer, so it is possible I might have to look for something extraneous like this.  Just discovered faulty diode shorting in the ECU relay, and going to investigate if a faulty ignition coil might have spiked and killed it.  What did you have to replace to cure your running on fault?

Thanks again for this, it may give me a new approach if investigating the HT coil is not the answer.

My thread is here in case you are interested:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/419027-fabia-suddenly-stops-ecu-fuse-replaced-now-wont-stop-at-all/

Best wishes,   NeilTM

My auto spark done it. He said he pulled the fuses to find out what it was that's all I know

Then he was implying that he found a fuse gone, which was probably the ECU power one, same as mine.  Thanks again, with your earlier description of the fan control box this gives me a good feeling for the sort of thing I might have to look for, such as starting by checking earth connections.  Glad you got it resolved.

Best wishes, Neil T