Winter tyres

I've just fitted my winter tyres (Continental Wintercontact TS850 185/60/15) for the first time to my 2014 Spaceback, having previously used these on a 2013 Rapid Hatchback.

I'd forgotten just how much better the ride is on the smaller wheels/tyres, compared with the OEM 16" Dione Alloys and 215/45/16 Bridgestone Turanza's.

Giving serious consideration to moving down to 15" rims/higher profile tyres all year round - possibly Michelin Cross Climates in 185/60/15 or 195/55/15?

Edited by pinkpanther

I get my spaceback soon and have been considering winter tyre options.

Is it best to get Steels and load them up with winter tyres?

Where is the best place to get advice for what would suit at a good price as I find Tyre places will often push you further than necessary?

Obviously you have your past setup to use and are happy with it?

Thanks,

• Like 1

I didnt like the ride on the 15's so went for 17s and its so much better. Use the 15s as a spare if needed :)

Also i have never used winter tyres so never needed the other set of wheels

Edited by Copey

I get my spaceback soon and have been considering winter tyre options.

Is it best to get Steels and load them up with winter tyres?

Where is the best place to get advice for what would suit at a good price as I find Tyre places will often push you further than necessary?

Obviously you have your past setup to use and are happy with it?

Thanks,

Hi Cam

I owned a set of (main dealer supplier) 15" steel rims and winter tyres, so the decision to switch to winters was an easy one for me.

I've moved over to all season tyres for my other car (Yeti 4x4), but unfortunately decent all season tyres are rare / costly in 215/45/16. I've fitted Michelin Cross Climates to the Yeti (in OEM 225/50/17 size), but they aren't available for the Rapid (in 215/45/16).

Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons 2 are available (http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=74609658.110.5299&sowigan=GAN&Breite=215&Quer=45&Felge=16&Speed=&kategorie=6&Marke=&ranzahl=4&tyre_for=PKW&x_tyre_for=&rsmFahrzeugart=PKW&search_tool=standard&Label=C-B-69-1&details=Ordern&typ=R-278401), but are costly @ £113 / tyre.

Rainworth's have supplied me with several winter tyre packages over the years and were always cheaper than online suppliers - ask for Jonathan in parts (01623 623400).

Edited by pinkpanther

Thanks for the great advice, very thorough! 

I will get the hang of all these numbers/codes/wheel dimensions some day!!!

I have just always wandered into a tyre place and asked them to stick on middle-of-the-road tyres.

I would like to be better informed on what makes them good and what they are good at, rather than the fact that they cost about the middle and could be shockingly awful!

Your advice is very useful!

When I had the C4, it's stock wheels were 17inch, and I would drop down to 15inch steels for my winder tyres. The rise on the 15s was always so much better.

When i bought the Spaceback, it was for that reason I kept its stock 15inch alloys. Having originally bought a second set of 15inch rims for winter tyres, I instead opted to go for the all-weather approach as I no longer do my 20,000+ miles a year. Have been running Michelin Cross Climate. Really good ride and handling, exceptionally good in the wet.

Ran our previous Spaceback on 15" winters for one season but felt the handling wasn't that great, so gave them to my lad for his Ibiza. For the next winter I used Nokian 17" winters fitted to the original factory Camelot rims and was much happier with that setup (had switched to a second hand set of Savios for the summer tyres).

Now running a Toledo/Rapid clone which came with the 16" wheel option and Bridgestone tyres and as I still had the Camelot/Nokian in the garage, I've fitted them and they appear to provide both better handling and ride over the cars standard summer wheels.

Seems both the Spaceback and notchback at at there best on 17" rims, which I find at odds with convention, particularly ride.

TP

Certainly won't question your experienice TP, but really surprised to hear that 17s run better. It's usually the higher profile rubber on the smaller wheels that make the ride better, by absorbing more of the bumps and crashes that are sadly a signature of our decaying road network.

• 2 weeks later...

Running 15" Nokian wr d4's on steel rims. Very impressed with them in the snow last winter. Even compared to the standard 15s the ride has a bit more compliance. Surprisingly, they are quieter than the factory fit Dunlops. Turn in definitely suffers, but can't have it all I suppose.

Edited by Openwindow