Buying a nearly new car with cosmetic damage

MillsyVRS

Are all Volvo dealers that casual in the treatment of their customers?.

Not being brand new, it seems you are a lesser person.

If I wasn't over a financial barrel, I'd drop them and start again.

Currently deciding whether it's worth losing the £500 over the principle of how I've been treated and how the process has gone through.

I've sent an email now saying I'm on the verge of walking even if I do lose the £500. Will see how they respond, whether they'll say yeah ok fine and see if I'm bluffing, or try and offer some sort of sweetener. As said, I do like the car a lot and as others have said if anything goes wrong it's under warranty, plus there are others out there but a combination of things now have just seemed a bit odd and left me feeling uneasy. Which isn't a feeling you should have when you're about to part with a large sum of money.

• Like 1

Are all Volvo dealers that casual in the treatment of their customers?.

Not being brand new, it seems you are a lesser person.

If I wasn't over a financial barrel, I'd drop them and start again.

No they are not,i bought my 4 year old V60 & was treated the same as if id spent £30k on a brand new one,my dealer was very good & from viewing the car to collecting it the service was great from them,restored my faith in dealers to be honest. 

MillsyVRS,there is no way i would collect my new car in the dark for a start,yes it could be put under some lights outside but that isnt good enough for me,could you not go on the monday after the weekend & collect the car then? if i was you i would ring them & tell them you want to collect the car on Monday morning at 10 am & you expect it to be fully valeted & all the faults you mentioned rectified & ready for your inspection & then you can sort the payment (if your happy with your car) & take it away,you are spending nearly £27k on a car.....they should be bending over backwards for you & making the experience a good one.....Just stand firm with them & tell them your the one spending all this money & you expect better service...i wouldnt walk away from the £500 you have spent now,if the car is fixed & your happy with it then continue with the purchase. 

I'm suprised about how you are being treated. I'd expect this crap from a Ford dealer, but not a more premium brand like Volvo.

I can't wrap my head around the fact they won't let you pickup the car that you're paying good money for at a time that suits you.

Is this the treatment you get when you don't go with the dealer backed finance soloutions?

• Like 2

This mob is making easy money it seems.

Its totally unacceptable to me,the issue is there is currently only 2 of the car the op wants for sale on autotrader & they are both for sale at dealers in the London area & one is £2.5k more than the one the op has put a deposit on so there isnt a big selection of this model to chose from,however this does not excuse the way the dealer is treating its customers.If i was lucky enough to be in the op's position & buying a really nice car like the one he is id expect nothing but perfect service & treatment from the dealer....he should be looking foward to getting his new car,it shouldnt become a drama for him because of the crap dealer treatment. 

Dare i ask how today went....hopefully you have now picked up your new Volvo....with no issues & all the jobs done.... :thumbup:

It went well! Got there about 10:15, and yeah, everything went smoothly! Apart from when I called up to get the free 7 day insurance, the company the dealer used (RAC) wouldn't give it to me because apparently I'm too young! Salesman apologised and said he didn't know they'd do that which was fine. Bit annoying that I then had to pay a fortune for temporary insurance on it. Car looks great and I'm very happy now :)

Still need to get rid of the Fabia though and I'm just being offered peanuts for it!

• Like 1

Great to hear all went so much better than you feared

The crunch is the realisation that your Fabia is now worth so little.........that's the way it is these days

Great to hear all went so much better than you feared

The crunch is the realisation that your Fabia is now worth so little.........that's the way it is these days

Well on autotrader, ones of the same age, colour and mileage are still up for sale for between £5.5-6k. WBAC offered £4635 so I thought I must be able to get at least £5k?! Surely?

Well on autotrader, ones of the same age, colour and mileage are still up for sale for between £5.5-6k. WBAC offered £4635 so I thought I must be able to get at least £5k?! Surely?

I didn't have a new car for many years and lived of old bangers but out here new cars are the norm these days which depresses used car values simply because there is so much choice and the dealerships haven't got the space so most go to the abatt ......er auctions. Edited by Ryeman
  • Like 2

Re Autotrader, 

If they are still advertised and not sold then the Advertised price in neither here nor there just Asking Prices not Selling Prices.  

But then you only need one buyer, and if a Remap does not put them off buying a Twincharger then yours is a nice car.

The problem is you need the person that is prepared to buy Private rather than from a Dealer and have some comeback even if 30 days or a 3 month Warranty.

?

Do you have a Skoda extended warranty running on the vRS?

Thats great news.....enjoy your new motor! lovely looking car. :thumbup:

Thanks very much! Now it's sat on my drive I really do like how it looks. Got all the toys on it including parking itself (will always be a bit nervous about that feature!) and am very pleased with it.

Although it was still quite a lot of money, I do feel overall it's quite a lot of car for the £24k that I got it for. Lots of kit, good performance and on paper, doesn't cost anymore to run than the Skoda (apart from tyres and insurance). It will last me a fair amount of time, not planning on changing it anytime soon!

As for the price of the cars on autotrader, no mine doesn't have an extended warranty as its modified. I thought if any problems were due to arise, they'd have made themselves known by now.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2016 at 20:48, Ryeman said:

Do we have pics?.

Finally, some pictures! Car got a full 4/5 hour clean after getting so dirty in the few weeks i've owned it that the rear number plate disappeared. So was time to get it looking new again.

IMG_7595.jpg

IMG_7609.jpg

IMG_7597.jpg

IMG_7608.jpg

IMG_7605.jpg

IMG_7602.jpg

IMG_7606.jpg

IMG_7603.jpg

IMG_7599.jpg

IMG_7600.jpg

IMG_7598.jpg

IMG_7596.jpg

Comes up pretty nicely I think. Other than a slight rattle from the parcel shelf appearing occasionally, the car has been spot on so far. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

Wow!

Good vibes from before n after pics.

Thanks! Pictures are in a slightly odd order but you get the picture! It's quite depressing watching it getting dirtier each day and I'm busy this weekend so next weekend it will be getting another wash. Not quite to the detail of this one, but it was waxed and sealed when i did it so hopefully the mud should come off pretty easily.

I've never been overly bothered about the colour of my cars, it's never a real factor when it comes to choosing one. My first one was silver, Skoda fabia was green and now this is black. Like you said though, they look great when clean, really smart IMO. 

• Like 1