What DA? To Buy

BATVANVRS

Hi Detailing Guru's :)

The time has come for me to buy a DA polisher  B) I keep looking around & hopefully between now & Christmas is the time that I would like to own one  :thumbup: maybe before Christmas as the delivery courier's might not be able to cope again  :D

Now the thing is? I'm not sure between 3 DA machines which one to choose! I will be a first time user of a DA so will be a novice etc, but I have also seen it done a few times in the flesh & watching a few youtube videos, I also don't want to buy a DA to only have to upgrade to a newer or better one etc...I would like the DA to last me a while before even thinking of changing it again (a bit like a cordless drill)  

So with that in mind! The DA's that I seem to always be going back too on websites is on CYC ;)

Listed in order of how I feel what I should go with.

1) http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/das-6-pro-autofinesse-revitalise-kit/prod_1150.html

2) http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-pro-plus-dual-action-polisher/das-6-pro-plus-chemical-guys-kit/prod_1551.html

3) http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/vertool-das-21e-polisher/vertool-das-21e-sonax-ex-kit/prod_1392.html

Or buy a DA machine on its own with a 3.5 inch backing plate, 4 inch pads & a one step scholl S20 black?

I'am leaning more to the 1st option above as you get the full kit, the price is good, as I want to stay within the £200.00 mark & ideally would be perfect for me being a first timer?

What do you guys think? any advice or information you can input.

Thanks  :thumbup:  

• Like 1

I'd go with this kit over the ones you've posted on the basis of the polishes being far superior.

All the 'entry level' machines are much of a muchness, especially if you've never used one before.

http://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/accessories-kits-and-tools/gifts-and-kits/slims-detailing-dual-action-das-6-machine-polisher-koch-chemie-polish-kit.html

cheers

Chris

• Like 1

Cheers Chris_VRS  :thumbup: I was looking on Slims website too as they are 15 mins up the road from me, I know I will be a novice at this especially for the first time around etc until I've used a machine a few fair times until I actually start to understand things a lot better but the only thing I did not like about the DA's from Slims is it only comes with a 1.9 metre lead (don't feel this is long enough from hand to over shoulder, then to plug in to the wall) & it's only a 600w motor compared to the 850w motor in the other one. 

I do like the fact that Slims has a lower 1500 rpm speed setting, on the other hand it is £55 cheaper ;) which is good but I don't want to scrimp on saving especially if it will compromise on machine quality or having to buy another machine a year down the line...

But I do like the choice you have shown me, definitely giving me more food for thought  B)

I've got the DAS 6 pro but not used it yet after my Megs G220 packed in just out of warrenty after being used only a few times - they don't offer a repair service or sell spares SO DON'T BUY MEGUIRS!

Anyhow, I've not used the DAS 6 pro in anger yet but it seems a decent piece of kit and you can get the spares for it from CYC if it does go wrong. I didn't get the pro plus because you can't fit a 3" backing plate on it to use in awkward areas. 

HTH

• Like 1

+1 for the DAS6 pro, had mine for 18 months, have 4" and 5.5" pads and find it a very powerful tool.

I am thinking about getting a Flex next year, not because the DAS6 is bad, just like the idea of forced rotation, now I have sorted my technique.

Detailing world have a group buy for £99.95, which is what I used.

I started using Meguires polish, but now use Scholl and Sonax. As you have noticed yourself, technique is everything, and the DAS6 pro seems to tolerate novices really well.

Take your time, watch a few vids and read a lot of the stuff on here then have a go - good luck :thumbup:

• Like 1

I originally bought a DAS6 Pro+ from CYC but, to be honest, I'm not that keen on it any more after hands on with other machines.  Best advice I can give is try to use a few before you purchase, you'll be surprised at the differences in the machines, even down to weight, ergonomics, 'feel' when in use etc.  Just because you've little experience doesn't mean you should pigeon hole yourself to a certain 'starter' machine. 

• Like 1

I nearly bought a DAS6 Pro plus, but what put me off was not being able to use a 3" backing plate like you can with the straight DAS 6 Pro machine.

I agree about other machines,like I said earlier, now I have more experience, a Flex is very close on my horizon. But £300 is a lot to put down if you are not sure you will get on with the process to begin with.

I think the main issue for me as a beginner was weight, I have borrowed my son's rotary for a few things, and whilst it corrects very quickly, after 15 mins use it feels like it weighs a ton, even though it obviously does not.

A DA polisher feels so much lighter after a period of use, that you feel like you actually want to carry on using it rather than just put it down/away.

Just my 2 cents as a newbie to this, I'm sure there will be plenty more input on this before the night is out. :)

• Like 1

Thanks everyone  :thumbup: for your advise & input, some very useful information gathered, I like to keep detailing as simple as possible, I know there is loads of different machines that can achieve far better results but I'll just be your local home owner DA polisher type of guy :D will probably use the DA twice a year maybe even 3 times a year! My budget is definitely below the £200.00 threshold & I'm thinking the DA from CYC will suit me down to the ground, especially from novice level to even intermediate level with the few times a year that I will actually use it on my own vehicle ;) practice will only get better with technique & there's no technique without practice  B)

I do like the fact that the DAS 6 Pro can take a 3 inch backing plate, didn't know some of the others could not! & watching a few videos from youtube has definitely made me feel more confidant to tackle the process.

Decisions...Decisions  :|  

Some good ideas and suggestions, but difficult to find one machine to cover all bases.

Based on your first post i like the Vertool option; good machine and the Sonax compounds are good.

Sonax 0/06 is superb and low dust - which i use a lot.

The mention of Koch Chemie compounds is useful - certainly looks an awesome deal at Slim's;

and the compounds are getting very good write-ups by many detailers.

I would also say that if you can work the deal well - i would recommend aiming at two machines.

If you are serious about using 3" pads and that sort of detailed work - then it makes sense.

So the Slim's kit (10% off on first order) as main machine; then maybe a AD DA-3 or Vertool 12e.

They are great little machines and ideal to have setup and ready at all times - saves so much time, anguish and frustration.

Tackle headlights, A,B, C pillars, spoilers, wing mirrors, sills etc. with confidence.

With Xmas sales on the horizon - you might get something sorted.... i got 15% off this last Xmas...

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/vertool-12e-mini-dual-action-polisher/prod_1565.html

Just my thoughts - let me know if you need anymore input.

• Like 2

Cheers for the advice Samuir :) I don't think I really want to go down the route of 2 machines (not yet, maybe in the future) but having that in mind, I'm actually thinking to buy just the CYC DAS 6 Pro machine with a 3.5" backing plate & 1 chemical guys 4" green pad & then buy the Koch Chemie 250ml compounds with the Koch Chemie pads via Slims, will work out to £115.00 from CYC & £54.60 from Slims so around £170.00 for everything.

Which seems not a bad deal using discount codes from both sites.

It's either that or just buy the DAS 6 Pro with the AF kit! Which in turn I don't get the 3.5" backing plate or 4" CG green pad with!

By splitting up the products, I kinda get the best of both for now until I become more experienced to even think about other machines & benefits of use etc

Edited by BATVANVRS
  • Like 1

No worries at all mate.... go with what works for you  :thumbup:

I've been there and tried to have the one machine to cover the options.

It didnt really work out and i'm much happier with having a machine

always setup on 3".

You are targeting the 3.5" plate and 4" pad combo?? - so you seem to know what you want.

Just keep us uptodate with how you get on. May well be other guys here very interested.  :thumbup:

• Like 1

Right so I bit the bullet & purchased the DAS 6 Pro with the AF kit, mainly because it comes with everything you need to get started & has some good reviews on both items/products on various sites, also purchased the 3.5" backing plate with a CG Hex-logic 4" pad, used the discount code too  B)

Looking forward to trying it out & in the meantime I will keep watching a few youtube vids so at least I will have a good basic know how knowledge to get started.

Got to start somewhere  :thumbup:  & as much as I wanted to try out other options/products, I felt this was the best option for me to start off with & in due course, I can always try out other compounds/polishes/pads etc, to see what I actually prefer but after I have some hands on experience.

I know that there will probably be some cracking deals coming up & maybe I might of got a better deal but to be honest, Its something I've been meaning to do for a while now & every time I've had the chance to actually get a DA polisher I have spent the money on other things & kept putting it off so this is something that I didn't want to happen again.  :D

Thanks to everyone  :thumbup:  who has helped out in this thread with your input, it has definitely been very helpful & has given me a better insight, What I will actually do first is to try it out on a spare car door I have lying around in my shed, to get better acquainted with some techniques, feel of the machine/products.

Will try to update this thread in the future (bare with me) as it won't be a instant thing to happen straightaway but definitely beginning months of the new year, as that's the plan :)

• Like 2

Right so I bit the bullet & purchased the DAS 6 Pro with the AF kit, mainly because it comes with everything you need to get started & has some good reviews on both items/products on various sites, also purchased the 3.5" backing plate with a CG Hex-logic 4" pad, used the discount code too  B)

Looking forward to trying it out & in the meantime I will keep watching a few youtube vids so at least I will have a good basic know how knowledge to get started.

Got to start somewhere  :thumbup:  & as much as I wanted to try out other options/products, I felt this was the best option for me to start off with & in due course, I can always try out other compounds/polishes/pads etc, to see what I actually prefer but after I have some hands on experience.

I know that there will probably be some cracking deals coming up & maybe I might of got a better deal but to be honest, Its something I've been meaning to do for a while now & every time I've had the chance to actually get a DA polisher I have spent the money on other things & kept putting it off so this is something that I didn't want to happen again.  :D

Thanks to everyone  :thumbup:  who has helped out in this thread with your input, it has definitely been very helpful & has given me a better insight, What I will actually do first is to try it out on a spare car door I have lying around in my shed, to get better acquainted with some techniques, feel of the machine/products.

Will try to update this thread in the future (bare with me) as it won't be a instant thing to happen straightaway but definitely beginning months of the new year, as that's the plan :)

Sounds good mate - Enjoy and good luck.

Looking forward to reading your updates  :thumbup:

• Like 1

I got the DAS Pro 6 plus with the Chemical Guys package. I've not had a polisher before other than an awful Halford's 180w special that just took the effort of hand polishing without achieving any better results.  After doing my own car with the Halford's job I decided to invest in something better.

Itching to give it a try I used it on the wife's BMW 120D coupe which had plenty of little scratches and swirl marks. I was a little wary of using it as I'd never used proper polisher before but the results were great. Only the deepest of scratches remained but with the edges removed you really had to look for them. More than anything else the colour really popped out, so much so that neighbours were coming across to comment on how good it looked. On that basis I'm impressed with the machine and the results the kit achieved by a rank amateur like myself. As soon as the weather gets better I'll be doing my own car with it in the hope of achieving the same results.

• Like 3