can I use 195 65 R15 91T winter tyres on 2012 1.2TSI combi?

Hi Guys,

I have a little concern here. My normal summer tyres are 205 60 R15 91V . I have being use another set of winter tyres 195 65 R15 91T on second hand Audi wheels for last four winters.

Recently notice that 91T, the speed symbol T has the permissible maximum speed of 190km/h. Check owners Manual that 1.2Tsi combi with 6 gears has a top speed of 191km/h. Although I never driven over 80mph, which is far far away from the top speed.

But in theory car has a top speed which is 1km/h higher than 91T's permissible maximum speed. Is it legal to use these winter tyres, will it cause any insurance issue?

Thanks in Advance

Talk to your insurance company, I think that in most places where winter tyres MUST be used by law, it is common place to use lower speed rated tyres in winter - probably that is why most if not all VW group and probably other other manufacturers, have a speed limit warning function to cover the period that winter tyres are fitted to that car.

Edit:- for what it is worth, my winter wheels/tyres are the correct speed rating for my car, but maybe my thinking is that I tend to use them for 6 months of the year to cover the really wet periods (maybe that should include summer here?)!

Another edit:- I've always taken the aproach that you should inform your insurance company when you are planning to use winter tyres - if for no other reason than it removes an opportunity for them to get sloppy if you are involved in "an event".

Edited by rum4mo