Driving Licence Categories

andyb_sv

Bear with me in this one! Passed my test in 2000 so the following applies

"Category B - if you passed your test on or after 1 January 1997

You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg MAM with up to 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg)."

So I wouldn't be able to drive a motor home with a MAM of 3500kg as it says UP TO, however the following suggests I would if I stuck a trailer on the same vehicle then I woukd be legal?

"Category BE

You can drive a vehicle with a MAM of 3,500kg with a trailer.

The size of the trailer depends on when you passed your test. If you passed your test:

before 19 January 2013 you can tow any size trailer (it’ll say category ‘B+E’ on your licence)"

Any ideas? Looking at borrowing a motor home next year so just checking everything out.

Cheers.

Where does it say upto and including? Everything I've seen says upto 3500 for a B whereas it only seems to say including when it's talking about the BE which doesn't make sense logically. Just want to make sure I have everything 100% correct shoukd the worst happen!

It's up to and including 3.5t. I doubt you'll ever get any camper van that is exactly 3500KG so it's acedemic. As for the trailer, you can tow a 750KG trailer if over 3.5t or any vehicle and trailer weight as along as it doesn't go over 3.5t. So on a 97-13 licence you can tow a 1.5t trailer with a 2t car.