Identifying Columbus model to update maps and f/w

HI y'all

I have a Columbus head unit in my Octavia Estate 2010, and have just received the v13 maps on DVD. I'm really struggling to understand what the process is. I cannot easily remove the unit, so would like to:

A Upgrade the firmware

B Update the maps

...from the front of the unit, without needing to remove it.

My friendly local garage plugged in and got:

ECU ID 3T0035680A and s/w version 2724

Does this tell me what I need to know and what do I do next?

Thanks in advance

• 4 weeks later...

Confusingly '2724' is the firmware (operating system) and was issued around 2010 so has never been updated - in fact there are few updates available for 'A' units. 

You don't report the map software level but it's likely to be v6 or v7 if never updated.

Map software is largely independent of the firmware level except that early version had the hard disk partitions allocated differently and the newer map software may not fit as it has grown in size over the years.

However, it's worth a try, you just post the DVD into the slot and wait. If it is acceptable it will access for a few minutes before asking you if you want to write it to the hard drive or just use it as a DVD - Choose 'Install'. 

After that it takes around 45 minutes to install the new map software so don't panic.

V14 maps have been available for about a month now but v13 will be so much better that the v6 or v7 you've got.

Good Luck. Please report back on success or failure.