Fabia TSI DSG Amy issues?

First post from someone who is trying to decide wich configuration to get.

I'm looking at a 2017 TSI 110hp DSG and heard someone talk about issues with VW's problems with this gearbox.

Is still a problem? You might think that they resolved this by now?

Welcome to the site jocker. 

I have the exact same motor you are thinking of getting. The DSG gearbox is superb, no problems for you to worry about. It works so well, is super smooth, and super responsive. In 7th gear the engine turns at a steady 2200rpm at 70mph. In sport mode it leaves everything in site behind...a long way behind! It does that even in standard 'D' mode too. I've not yet been able to 'fool' the box into being in the wrong gear. A real pleasure to drive. Some early gearboxes in the Fabia Mk2 gen, did have some issues but these seem to be cured now and I have not heard of any intrinsic problems. I know several folks with this gearbox in their Fabia Mk3's and no one has issues. I know a local taxi firm that has the Fabia Mk3 estate with over 100,000 trouble free miles with this gearbox. Don't worry, just buy it, you won't regret it.

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum.

The DSG is the DQ200.

They should not be Producing in 2017 Gearboxes with Fundamental Design, Manufacturing & Components failings or Quality Control issues, 

and they hardly do, but there are some obviously as you will see if you look just down this page.

The issue that caused a World Wide Recall in 2012/13 & Service Campaign from 2014 in Europe should be resolved, 

but who knows what the future holds.

Anyway 7 Speed & 6 Speed DSG are Brilliant, as are the latest 7 Speed Wet Clutch DSG.

(The Up!MiiCitigo ASG Boxes are pathetic and VW should be ashamed.)

PS

Estate Man, 

The member on here that just had new Clutch Packs and bearing in a Mk3 Fabia has had issues, 

so that is 1 you have heard of if you read the thread.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

Indeed Offski, but that is not an intrinsic gearbox issue, just a judder on the clutch which can occur to any DSG dry or Manual gearbox dry clutch. It's not an actual gearbox issue. The gearboxes themselves are absolutely bullet proof according to my VW mates and rarely do they experience any issues with clutches either. In fact, the ratio of DSG clutch issue to manual clutch issues appears to be far less as the auto box clutch cannot be abused in the same way as a manual box clutch, so it gets an easy life by comparison. Out of the half dozen folks I personally know with the DSG box with various miles on the clock, no one has had any problems. You will always get the odd engine or box that has an issue though. It's impossible to avoid it. 

It is an intrinsic VW Group issue that there continues to be issues and Franchised Dealership employees dismiss them so easily.

The Gearboxes might be Bullet Proof if you mean the castings / housing, the Clutch Packs / MCU's might be the faulty part, and Quality Control.

Vorsprung Durch Technik

Tell people it happens very sheldom and you are technologically brilliant and many will believe you, dismiss lemons and just something that happens.

Recall 7 Million Units & Extend Warranties where people sue you,  just not in the Home Markets.

• Like 1

But we are talking about the Mk3 generation here. No such issues, so what issues are you talking about? Skoda/VW learned the lessons on the earlier version of the box. Now it's just the odd problem that can occur with any type of gearbox or clutch such as the judder you referred to above. One or two mechatronic replacements...but nothing intrinsically wrong with the boxes. Compare that with the auto tiptronic VW boxes on the 1.6. They have a brilliant reliability record too, but the clutches can slip on those after 30-50k due to the electronic solenoid hydraulic valve seals wearing out. It's an easy fix, but cost can vary between £1400 and £2800 to replace them. It's pretty much the same for any torq converter auto box whatever the manufacturer. DSG boxes, sometimes called DCT from other manufacturers suffer more issues than Skoda/VW. How do I know that? I have ex-colleagues throughout the motor industry, including my nephew who is VW master tech and many friends in Skoda/vw dealerships at tech and other levels. My own dealership has never had to take any generation mk3 DSG apart since they were introduced, so that's got to be a good thing. I do see where you are coming from though Offski, but don't forget manual boxes and clutches have issues too. 

Another vote here for the TSI 110 + DSG. Great combination. The 110 engine is something of a revelation. Feels very similar to my old Mk1 Fabia vRS but it all starts to happen a little further up the rev range. DSG is excellent and I hardly even feel the need to go into 'Sport' mode.

Just do it, you won't be unhappy.

Another vote here for the TSI 110 + DSG. Great combination. The 110 engine is something of a revelation. Feels very similar to my old Mk1 Fabia vRS but it all starts to happen a little further up the rev range. DSG is excellent and I hardly even feel the need to go into 'Sport' mode.

Just do it, you won't be unhappy.

I've got to agree here!! I find that in certain parts of the rev range, it's hard to tell the difference with the wife's new car and her old vRS!!

• 1 year later...

Fabia TSI 110 DSG here on 51,000 miles since OCT 2017. No problems whatsoever. Brilliant combination.

I even took the car on the autobahn and got up to 219kph. I wondered what the lorry's thought of my Fabia absolutely shooting past them. What was amazing, is how low the RPM's are, even above 200kph.

I drove a manual standard 1.0 MPI as a courtesy car - terrible. It's worth pointing out that the brakes are better on the 110, disks on the back whereas the lower power ones are drum - so you're paying for more than just a more powerful engine/excellent gearbox.

On the clock - so obviously not that fast in reality/GPS - but still impressive! 219kph would be down a hill too - you could count on a struggle to 210kph on a flat (indicated).

For scale, 137kph on the clock is 130kph GPS

73mph is about 69.5+ MPH

52MPH 49.5+MPH