Got stranded today due to boost leak possibly blown turbo

Hi everybody,

Coming out of a junction onto a major road this morning and gave it a bit of a bootful and next thing I know the car's power just dies and the turbo is squealing like a pig. :D

Bit of a bugger, as I was on the way to work, but luckily the recovery van came within 45 mins and had me back home before lunchtime.

This evening, a bit dark but I thought I'd give it a bash and take the undertray off. All the pipes look like they're connected properly, with some with minor weeping.

About 2/3 year ago, I had a similar problem with the 90 degree pipe on the bottom of the intercooler, but this looked like it was ok this time. I had the intercooler replaced by my local stealers when they did the clutch about 1 year ago.

I've felt round the pipes and whilst there is some grime and oil, it is hard to tell whether it is fresh or not.

Does anybody have any suggestion whether it is possible to boost leak these cars with a compressor or something similar?

Also if there are any typical places I could look that might give some clues?

The turbo does whine a bit when the car is idling is well.

Thanks!

Thanks guys. I can't say I noticed any smoke. I tried taking the pipe off the turbo but they are well and truly stuck on. Quite difficult to take off whilst the car is on axle stands.

Worst case scenario and it is a blown turbo, any idea how much it would cost?

Dreading it, but I'm thinking it if it going to be more than £800 I'm just going to retire it.

Yeah, just checked today in better daylight and it appears there might have been a boost leak on the upper joint of the intercooler going to the intake.

I've put on a brand new aftermarket intake pipework with new seals and it is still squealing like a pig.

Just come in for a brew before I go back out again to do vagcom check, to see if there are any further clues (e.g. overboosting) before I sign it off as a blown turbo.

Also tried to get on vagcat.com for the part numbers, but it looks like the site is down. :(

Any idea where else I could look or does anybody know what part numbers I would need? Also if you have any links to any guides would be really useful.

thanks!

Depending on the age of the car it could be a KKK or a garet. I recently had a KKK fail on me with no smoke. Unfortunately you need to get under the car and have a look and whats gone. On the KKK it has a small stamped plate which will have the model number - best take a photo of it as you need the complete model number. I was also advised that the KKK and garett have different EGR pipes so I opted to stay with the factory fitted KKK and sent it off to be repaired. they ended up putting a new core in and cleaned everything up. came back with new garaskets as well. that was around £340 inc VAT.

OK lets work on the fact you have a KKK (which you might but more likely) - Darkside have them at £600 for a reconditioned one (i think) while TPS quoted us something like £1200 and ECP have them for £800 - you can get the cores on their own for around £140 but I haven't a clue about turbos and didn't want to mess about so sending it away was the best option. The chap who I dealt with offered me a Garret instead for an extra £100 (so around £450 with vat). but the issues with the EGR pipe and not wanting to delete it (as I've heard it can be some trouble with a BLT engine) I decided just for the KKK again.

If your turbo has died you need to clean ALL the pipes including the intercooler. When cleaning, don't hit your intercooler with a pressure washer as it ruined mine and I had to get a new one from ECP (around £80 using a discount code).Reason for cleaning is you'll find small flakes of metal from the old turbo. If they get sucked into either the engine or the new turbo it's night night for that part.

Note: My turbo was repaired for £340 not replaced so be prepared to have it off the road for a few days if you choose this route. Personally I'd avoid just buying a 2nd hand unit from a breakers as you don't know how loved or un-loved it's been.