Water coming in though pollen filter

Hi, just bought a 2003 MK1 vRS which this morning decided to leak water from behind the glovebox all over my passenger footwell.

I took the glove box off and dropped the heater fan, which had a nice puddle of water in the little sump bit.

Went and looked at the scuttle panel, took it off and could se straight away the rain water was running almost straight into the pollen filter!

I noticed a gap in the clip on seal/trim that attaches to the bottom of the windscreen right where the water seems to be getting in, is this normal? Or has something happened to the seal/trim? I can take some pics tomorrow

Liverpool-lad there was nothing there that I noticed. I'll take it off again tomorrow and have a look. I'll see if I can find a picture of a new one to compare.

Thanks

Ok so the car has been sat all day in the rain, tonight the footwell carpet is soaked and the heater fan housing behind the glove box was full of water.

I've taken some photos for you guys to look at. Can I upload them from my phone or do I need to go on the computer?

Thanks Dave

ok here are some pictures.....

This one shows how the rain water runs down when I take of the scuttle panel.

post-152463-0-26723400-1484592839_thumb.jpg

The next one shows the underside of the scuttle panel, there does look like something has broken off it? And a badly sealed grommet i guess??

post-152463-0-36218700-1484593066_thumb.jpg

Inside the heater fan bit that goes up to the pollen filter which looks like its been getting wet for some time....

post-152463-0-64067300-1484593076_thumb.jpg

I've got the part number from the scuttle panel so going to order a new one, do you think this will solve the issue?

post-152463-0-26723400-1484592839_thumb.jpg

post-152463-0-36218700-1484593066_thumb.jpg

post-152463-0-64067300-1484593076_thumb.jpg

post-152463-0-24313300-1484593086_thumb.jpg

I've just googled the part number I have and it keeps sending me to polish website?! Is the one fitted to my car from a left hand drive car, hence the shoddy grommet seal?

So is there an extra lip under that side of the plastic scuttle panel?  The idea is it locates in under the yellow part of the steel so any passing water gets deflected by it avoiding the pollen flter.

Its quite obvious and may have come off in the past.  Post some better pics of the underside of it as it may have snapped off in a former life.

Edited by Liverpool-Lad

Good video, can see from there that mine clearly has a massive piece missing.

I've wrapped the filter in plastic and rammed the bit between the filter and inside of the car with tea towels to try and stop any more rain getting in.

Cheers