Petrol smell on Fabia Mk II(1.2TSI)(2010)

Rustica

Hi 

I've noticed an intermittent petrol smell after my Fabia has been running for a while.I also seem to be filling up more often but I haven't checked mpg yet.

I've checked the fuel line from the tank to the filter and then on from there to the engine bay and I don't see any leaks.It's done 86000 km.Does anyone have any ideas please?

Cheers.Mark

ps Have also the noisy startup problem(due to cam chain),which I'm looking into with a very useful thread on the site.I assume the above problem isn't anything to do with this.

Edited by Rustica

Best not assume and get someone to try and find where the leak is coming from.

Fuel leaking and giving a smell means there are fumes and you have a petrol engine and sparks and fumes or liquid can cause fire or an explosion.

Has the Fuel Filter ever been changed?

• Like 1

Best not assume and get someone to try and find where the leak is coming from.

Fuel leaking and giving a smell means there are fumes and you have a petrol engine and sparks and fumes or liquid can cause fire or an explosion.

Has the Fuel Filter ever been changed?

Thanks for the reply,am planning to take it soon.The fuel filter was changed by me 28000 km's ago

Thanks for the reply,am planning to take it soon.The fuel filter was changed by me 28000 km's ago

I'd check that first.

Why did you change the fuel filter? These are "for life" fitment on petrol cars (unless your fuel source is known to be dirty).

• Like 1

I'd check that first.

Why did you change the fuel filter? These are "for life" fitment on petrol cars (unless your fuel source is known to be dirty).

The engine was running rough but was due to the plug leads.So my mistake on that one as the leads were a known cause for this problem.How do you mean check the the filter?Maybe put the original back in?It was changed about 2 years ago and the petrol smell has only been around for a few weeks.Thanks

Some Dealership Technicians are now changing the 'originally said to be for life' Fuel Filters at the 2nd Major Service.

At least go look and see if there is any sign of a leak there.  You are going to have to check everything and assume nothing, 

burst pipes, loose connections, perished rubber etc.

Look for leaks where you refitted the fuel lines, maybe split or clamps not sealing.

Sadly no 3 lead dying is well known issue (except at my dealer) which vag upgraded later with "Marten protection" (i.e. we are pretending that its not a problem when a ht lead is placed on a hot exhaust).

Mine also took out the coil with it, for which I got shafted £180 even after 50% "goodwill", what a joke.

• Like 1

I've checked very carefully for leaks from the the fuel tank to the filter and then onto the fuel pump and I can't see any leaks.Having said that,the petrol smell wasn't evident at the the time I checked.Will try again when the smell is there but I suspect I'll have to put into the local Skoda garage,which isn't that local.Cheers