Tool advice

VRS Mike

5 minutes ago, Bud said:

Now cleaning is another thing entirely, should we start a push bike detailing thread? I've always spent more time and effort fettling my treaders than I have cars.

I installed a hot outside tap just for bike washing.... 

Ideal world I would give over the utility room and tile it all with water drain so I could clean it inside.  Could use the garage but the carpet would get wet:biggrin:

• Like 2

You don't actually need quick link pliers.

I did make a pair for myself before my cycling pal showed me how to undo them.

Push the two plates towards each other before sliding to line the holes up, to pull the plates apart.

Using pliers forces the pins against its natural locking design.

I use mine links over and over again without issue, and remove the chain frequently, with ease, for cleaning.

Edited by Tilt

At some point you will come across a quick link that no matter how much pinch and slide you apply it will not budge. That's the day you wish you'd bought the pliers. Also saves them nipping your finger tips and have to wipe the blood of everything you touch :angry:

You can keep using them but they're great to have as spares too. 

6 hours ago, Tilt said:

You don't actually need quick link pliers.

Sorry but I have to disagree, you would be okay with a 10 speed chain but 11 speed chains are marginally narrower making the tolerances even tighter, for the swearing and frustration its link pliers all the way! Master link pliers

A decent work stand in my opinion is essential to maintaining bikes, had an Andy stand for a while but wasn't quite as versatile as needed so picked up a Feedback work stand (have since got the tool tray to go with it)

IMG_6003_zpsvdegr7nd.jpg

Used everything in my 'bike drawer' multiple times, the only thing I've not used is the fork cutting guide, which I'll be using this weekend!

71ED01CB-DEE8-42CF-8DFE-61CBE15E3720_zps
1587FAA9-5C6B-4949-9123-DAC174BC677B_zps

• Like 1

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 14:45, Tilt said:

My home made stand.............I couldn't get one to work with my frame......

DSCF0875.JPG

DSCF0874.JPG

Forgot to mention it folds up too. You can see the hinges. ;).